two's a crowd

two's a crowd

You let out a low groan as you slowly regained consciousness. You blinked, rubbing your eyes with the palms of your hands to adjust the blurred, dark state everything was in and carefully sat up, unable to bite back a sharp wince at the ache in your head.

"What... happened?" you quietly asked, taking in your surroundings.

The only thing fighting against the darkness was a very thin layer of light coming from outside the windows, tainting everything in a reddish hue. Desks and chairs were scattered in various positions, some overturned, some broken in half, and others missing pieces. The books and pencils weren't much better, littering different sections of the floor.

Had an earthquake caused this? If it did, where did everyone else go?

You sighed, slowly pushing yourself up off the ground and dusting off your uniform, "Maybe I'm dreaming again?" you muttered, moving to look outside the windows, "Jeez," you squinted, cupping your hands between the sides of your face and the glass, as if that might help you see any better, "Can't see anything through the fog..."

"Virgil's... curse..."

"Wha–?" you turned sharply towards the familiar voice, letting out a faint gasp once the hunched figure came into view, "Remy?"

He was huddled in the front corner of the classroom, the fearful look on his face quickly flashing to anger, "God, this isn't funny!" he shouted at no one in particular, abruptly standing up, "I–I'm going to find out who's behind this and–god, they're so dead!"

"Ah–wait a second!" you took several steps forward, trying to gain Remy's attention, only for him to completely ignore you and stomp out of the classroom, "Just–we probably shouldn't–!" you quickly chased after him, biting back any urge to reprimand him for being rude.

As you stepped out into the hallway, however, he was gone, and in his place was... someone else.

Someone very familiar, who had his back towards you.

Virgil...? you cautiously approached him, reaching out a hand to grab his shoulder, only for him to disappear before you could so much as touch him. You blinked, glancing down to find a gaping hole in the floor where he had previously been standing, blocking off any access to the other side of the hallway.

If you had stepped any further, you could have died...

I could have died, you almost wanted to force out a laugh at how awful that situation could have been. The worst part, now that you thought more about it, is that you'd die alone, and no one would have any idea where to find you. Sure, eventually someone might stumble across your body, but who knew how long that would be?

You shook your head, taking a step back, and turned to start your walk in the other direction. The only sound for a while was your echoing footsteps and the occasional buzzing from a working light bulb. Most of them were broken, but there was a rare occasion of spotting one, and when you did, it made you feel just a little at ease.

After a few minutes, you managed to find a stairwell, almost beckoning you into the darkness. No, no, absolutely not. The hallway was one thing, because at least you could use the windows as a light source, but the stairs? Nuh-uh. You could barely make out anything after the fifth step down.

"But..." you gnawed on your lower lip, glancing back at the way you had just come from. Where else could you really go?

A scream suddenly cascaded up the stairwell, pulling you from your thoughts. You hesitated for just a moment, throat closing up and fear twisting in your chest. Every fiber in your being was yelling at you to not go down those steps, that this is how people in horror movies die.