Prompt #8: Joshua Graham

reacting to six being pregnant with his child

with joshua

The very thing that Joshua Graham would be upon finding out that you're pregnant is, in a word, interested. He would be interested to know how such a thing was possible (he thought his injuries, the burns, the radiation had scoured away any hope of being a father) he would be interested in your intentions and thoughts (had he force a child upon you?) and by god would Joshua be interested to see if his life had finally been blessed with something good–he isn't sure if it's a sign of forgiveness from god or perhaps even a new reason for him to fight through each new day.

It takes some time for him to adjust to the news and work through worries and fear Joshua never even realized that he held onto to begin with. Where he was quite open to the notion that you were free to come and go as you liked (you were a free courier, after all), it becomes very obvious very quickly that he would like for you to stay with him–unless the two of you had already bonded enough that you didn't want to linger too far before getting pregnant.

Joshua Graham isn't a man for healing. He isn't a doctor and he knows so little about the human body, let alone a pregnant one. He would be swift to seek out the help and knowledge of Daniel and Walking Cloud if he could, if only to make sure that your pregnancy is without issue or worry for either of you to deal with–making sure that you are not in pain and the baby is healthy becomes Joshua's near-number-one concern.

For a lot of his life, Joshua has done his best to stray from feelings of possession–he owns nothing in his mortal life, nothing that he can ever claim belongs to nothing but the good will of those around him and the blessings from god. That said, it isn't until he sees you growing round and soft that he finally realizes how ungodly possessive and protective he is for you. You are certainly a fighter, a person worthy of admiration and respect for all that you've been able to accomplish in New Vegas and thensome, but the man can't help himself from indulging himself in those shameful feelings.

He likes to hold you close as often as he can, touchier than he normally cares to be for how uncomfortable the physical gesture is for him and his scars. It's worth more to him than the pain, making sure you know how much he cares for you and the child you two created together. He does well to watch over you as best he can, going out of his way to procure as many supplies as possible from caravans and traders who pass through to ensure that you're comfortable and well cared for.

You being pregnant makes Joshua feel so unsure of himself, so worried for what god has in store for him–he had considered himself a soiled, worthless soul in the world that it was redemption enough that he would do some good in the world before dying a lonesome death. Having you in his life was a blessing enough, but a child? That is a gift Joshua could not believe–it is the moment that he feels that he's genuinely allowed to have happiness again.

Fallout Writings