Chapter 1:The Interview

Black awnings shaded the café innards from the sun. Patrons chose indoor seating hoping to escape the blazing Los Angeles heat and their regular tiny espressos were replaced with tall iced teas and coffees.

While street fashion is a staple, surviving 90+ degree weather was suddenly more important to ninety-five percent of the population, today I had convinced myself to a part of the five percent. I bit the bullet and kept my blazer, I figure if I keep it professional, maybe my personality will outshine my resume.

There were three tables with men sitting alone. One was on his phone, another looking through a binder, and another wistfully staring out the window. I hesitated before my next step, contemplating which direction, and finally just decided to text him.

'Sam' it read, 'I have arrived at the interview location.'

I heard a notification go off to my left and the young guy who'd been staring out the window. He looked down at his phone then up at me by the counter.

"Amelia?" he asked.

"Yes, Sam, right?" I extended a hand, "Thank you for meeting with me."

"Thank you for coming all the way out here." Sam shook my hand and motioned for me to sit across from him.

"I'm glad to come, this seems like an incredible opportunity." I smile, reaching into my bag to grab my resume. He took the paper.

"I got your email with your filming and editing demo. My group all really liked it. It was very similar to our current editing style, so you definitely have the kind of skills we're looking for."

"Thank you, I don't know how many other applicants you've had, but I promise to make the best of any opportunity I'm given."

I watched as he flipped through my resume and when he looked up at me he seemed serious, but torn. He bit at the inside of his cheeks and he could not meet my eyes.

"Amelia," he closed the folder, playing with the rings on his fingers, "My group, we really want to hire you for this job, but I have to tell you about some serious stuff that comes along with the job."

"Well, I'm ready for anything! I'll sign whatever kind of waiver or NDA you want, I just really need this job." I looked him dead in the eye.

"No, no, no, that's not it! Its just..." he bit his lip with a sigh, "We do a lot of work with the paranormal. We get a lot of crap for it, people say it isn't real, and honestly on camera it all can look like cheesy acting sometimes, but in the moment it can get seriously scary. I just have to ask how you react in those kind of situations."

"Oh..." Paranormal stuff. Great.

"I get it if you don't want the job," he looked down at my white knuckles as my hand tightened in a fist.

I do not want this job. I do not want to deal with hauntings and ghosts and all that spooky stuff, but I need this job. If I don't get this job, mom won't be able to pay my sister's first tuition installment. I have to take this job.

I took a deep breath, steeled my voice, and told him, "I can do that kind of job."

He seemed unsure. I had to think of something to say, make him think I wasn't scared.

"I was worried you were going to ask me to shoot a porno or something." I broke into a smile and laughed, "I can definitely do haunted stuff. That's nothing knew for me."

"Really? Have you worked on a paranormal investigations crew before?" he peaked down at my resume once again with an eyebrow raise and head tilted to the side.

"No, I just had some experiences as a kid. I've never really been afraid of any of that though. It helps that I also don't really have a flight instinct." I tried to laugh it off, but he raised an eyebrow.

"What kind of experiences?" He seemed interested, but was quick to throw up his hands and assure me, "You don't have to tell me! Sorry, that was kind of personal."

"No! No, don't worry about it! It's not like you're asking about me darkest secrets," he laughed along with me this time, "My dad just passed away when I was young and my cousin had the bright idea to play around with a ouija board. I tried to contact my dad and ended up getting tricked by like a demon or something. My mom actually brought a priest in."

"Wow!" His eyes were wide. He leaned forward, brushing his thumb over his lower lip, head held in his palm, "My friends have had some crazy stuff happen too. Corey actually had a similar experience with a Ouija board and a demon."

"I'm sure his was much more serious than mine."

"Maybe, maybe not?" he smirked, a perplexed expression crossing his face. He glanced down to his phone on the table as the screen lit up with a notification.

"I'm not sure I understand what you're hinting at." I sat back in my chair doing my best impression of someone wrongly accused.

"I think you do." His phone rang again as he spoke. With another peak down he huffed, "I'm sorry, but I have to go, something came up. Thanks so much for coming out"

"Don't worry about it!" I assured him, standing up to shake his hand as he headed out, "It was very nice to meet you, Sam, and thank you so much for the opportunity!"

"I'll get in touch soon with a decision, but I have a good feeling about you, Lia. Bye!" he waved on his way out the door.

I took a deep breath, letting it out nice and slow before I jumped in line for a tea.

As I sat back down at a new table in the corner, I looked out the window, in the same general direction Sam had been looking earlier. I wondered what he was looking at. Was it the cars that lined the street? The pedestrians who walked with a bit more urgency, seeking refuge from the blistering sun? Or something else? Maybe he was thinking about interview questions. I guess I'll never really know.

When my text tone sounded in my bag, I pulled it out to check who it was. The notification read, 'Mom: How was the interview? I'm praying for you, sweetie!'

I smiled and started to craft my reply.

'Hi mom! I think it went well, the interviewer said he had a good feeling, but I should find out in a few days. Love you!'

I pulled my agenda out of my bag, flipping to today. I found the address of my next interview, typed it into my phone's GPS and set off down the sidewalk. I watched as the street radiated heat, wishing I could afford a day at the beach, but if I'm going to do this in time, I need as many jobs as I can find.