I prefer it this way.

May 5, 2014

A bright moon hangs in the sky amongst silver clouds. It's light only serves to deepen the forest's shadows. I feel like a shadow myself as I weave between the pines. My bare feet just barely make a whisper on the fallen needles. The trees whisper back. Their voices prick my ears. I can hear their secrets.

I am aware of everything. The forest is kissing me. Its sound, its touch, its breeze, even its smell caress me. I have found the tallest, largest tree in this corner of the forest. I sit under its branches.my back is resting against the mighty trunk and my knees are pulled against my chest. I place my palms on the ground to either side of me, my fingers splayed. I stretch my fingers through the needles and press my fingertips into the dirt beneath. It is cool and clean to touch. I feel like I could stay here forever in unending night.

Just as I am wishing that time would freeze this moment, a cloud rolls in front of the moon casting the forest into even deeper shadows. A shiver runs up my backbone. I raise the hood of my cloak and pull its cape around my huddled form. My hands are wrapped in its soft fabric but I still dig my toes into the earth. I know that I am completely invisible now, truly just a shadow in the woods. And I prefer it this way.