Phone

A cute short story where the children gets miss p a phone for mothers day. (rewritten version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miss Peregrine's POV:

As I did every morning, I woke up and headed directly to the bathroom. But to my surprise, I woke up with a gift bag at the doorway. My eyebrow was raised as I stared at the colorful gift bag. It was green with blue polka dots (it also was adorned with pink ribbons which I assumed was Claire's doing). I put said gift bag on my nightstand and decided I would deal with it once I was done preparing myself. I put on a beige turtleneck blouse that had decor on the sleeves, shoulders, and wrists. It was accompanied by a black bow around my neck and a navy blue skirt that contained the same decor on the edges.

(the shirt is the image at the top for those who are interested)

I made my way downstairs to begin preparing breakfast when Millard suddenly interrupted me in the hall. He spoke with a hint of curiosity (as always), "Have you opened the gift ye, tMiss Peregrine?" Once the words left his mouth, I remembered the gift that had been at the doorway when I woke up this morning. "No not yet I'll open it after I finish preparing breakfast," I said with a smile showing that I was of course thankful for the gift. Millard suddenly stood up straight and spoke with what I assumed was accompanied by a smug look on his face, "You don't need to worry about such things since we have already gotten that covered! Although... you might want to visit the market today." He took out an empty bottle of coca wine from behind his back. Dear birds. "Oh well thank you, Millard! that's very kind of you all to do" I smiled and put my hand out, signaling that he could pass me the empty bottle. He gave said bottle to me and turned to head back downstairs. I watched as he made his way down, a creak sounding with every step. After he was gone, I took a look at the evidence of my all-nighter last night. A sigh escaped my lips and I headed to investigate whatever was inside the mysterious gift bag.

Once I got upstairs, I was a tad bit surprised to see Emma and Jacob ]standing at my door. I greeted them with a smile and asked if they needed something. I assumed that all of my wards were still getting ready. Though it seemed that something was particularly off about today. They chuckled quietly and replied with a quick "no." I raised an eyebrow, a secret was being kept which was not to my liking. I entered y room as they waited outside, I stared at the colorful gift bag. It seemed like a fish out of water in my room. I opened it and inside there was a white box with a rather peculiar bitten apple symbol on it, it also included a card that read "Happy Mother's Day." The card made my heart stop for a moment, and I could feel a few tears attempt to escape my eyes. I had been called "mom" b a few of my wards before and every time I could feel that darn word pull at my heartstrings. I smiled and read the card (by then, the tears had begun to fall.) When I opened the white box there was a black square inside, it shined when the light hit it.

I made my way downstairs with the box and to my surprise (again), I was met with a whole lot of smiling faces. The whole charade was explained to me and the children showed me everything that they had planned. After all the talking passed, Jacob helped me set up the "phone" that everyone had gotten for me. He began to tell me all about it and what it could do. That was until a voice on the phone named "Siri" asked me something, apparently, she is a voice in the device that could help one do stuff (a little lazy if I had to be honest). Many questions came soon afterward.

After we all finished breakfast and all the children went around the house to play. I began trying to use the phone by tapping on it and surfing through the apps that Jacob and Emma had shown me. I will admit, I was a bit skeptical about it and I knew that it would just become another trinket in my room but I gave it a try. I came across something that had the name "Instagram." I called Jacob downstairs and he said that the app was like something called Facebook which was an application where you could interact with your friends. He helped me set up an account and also helped me follow my wards on this said Instagram. Somehow Horace already had 1,784 followers who were intrigued by his style and fashion. Millard has 595 learning about all of his hyper fixations, Emma had 487 followers checking in on her "love life", and Jacob has 102 family and "friends" of his following him.

I decided to have some fun and I posted a video of me in my bird form on this app called TikTok (it got 158 likes). Jacob said that I was already on my way to becoming an influencer (his idea was met with my widened eyes and a rather disgusted expression). I did not like the idea of gaining followers but I went on with it anyway. My next video was a simple one of me reading a tale to Olive and Claire. The video got 1m views and 584.3k likes which left me shocked. Apparently, there's something called a "For You Page" where people can find the videos. Horace was a little shocked that my video got more attention but he began to drink his tea so that he wouldn't say anything else. Although I didn't really enjoy "phone," I enjoyed seeing the smiles on my childrens faces.

And even though I don't like the modern world or anything in it really. I decided to give the phone a try and not let it become some boring little trinket in my room.