Chapter 2

Jaylen Harris
8 years old
Monday, December 16th
9:32 AM

We were still with ace and heaven the next day. I wasn't in such a hurry for dad to come get us because I actually liked being with heaven and ace, I could tell Kash did too. He stopped getting angry quickly and stopped eating all his food fast when he realized they wasn't going to take it.

"Ain't yall supposed to have school or something like that." Ace voiced broke my train of thought.

"Dad said we didn't need school because we didn't need the white man to be successful in life." I nodded agreeing with Kash.

I looked at ace who was sitting next to us on the couch. It was just me Kash and ace since heaven went to work so ace had to watch us.

"I swear my brother is a very dumb person. What else did he tell y'all." I looked at Kash who was thinking very hard.

"He also said that we didn't need the doctors because they didn't know what they were doing, and we weren't dying." Ace started rubbing his forehead.

"So, what did he do when y'all was sick." I chewed on my bottom lip.

"We had to stay in our room until we weren't sick anymore and if we either cried and complained or got the rest of the house sick he would beat us. He told us we would have a stronger immune system." I finished speaking, that being the most I ever spoke.

Kash got up and walked out of the living room and seconds later I heard the door to the room slam shut. I looked at ace and he was staring across the room with a blank face.

"I-Im sorry." I told him with tears running down my face. I desperately wiped them thinking he was going to be more upset.

He turned his head looking at me. "It's ok jay, why are you saying sorry, I'm the one who should be saying sorry." He picked me up and held me in his arms.

"I'm sorry for crying, I'm not supposed to cry so I won't grow up to be a bitch. And I'm sorry for snitching on dad to you, snitches get to die." I told him.

"Don't say that jay it's ok to cry, your more of a real person if you cry because that means you have more control over your emotions. Don't let nobody control that not even your dad jay and I'm going to say the same to Kash. You got that?" I nodded before letting out a yawn.

"You tired already you just was asleep about an hour ago." He sounded concerned. He tried to lay me on the couch next to him, but I held on to him tighter with my eyes closed.

"If you wanted to stay on me that's all you had to say." I nodded still resting my head on his chest.

I felt Ace move around and then him talking. "Yea heaven can you make the kids a doctor appointment please and at least for today."

I didn't hear nothing on the other side of the phone, but Ace responded back. "Yea and we need to talk when you get back home." That's the last thing I heard before falling asleep in aces arms.

Half an hour later

"Come on wake up jay." I felt someone shaking me. I opened my eyes and seen ace was still under me while Kash and heaven was staring at us.

"Get up jay so you can get dressed." I got off of ace before stretching out my arms and legs. Heaven grabbed my hand and took me to the room I sometimes slept in.

"You're a little on the tiny side so I might not have clothes that's your size." Heaven spoke. She pulled out white socks, boxers, a plain white shirt and black gym shorts.

She handed them to me, and I waited for her to leave before getting dressed. The clothes were a bit big on me like heaven said but that was fine with me.