Chapter 11: In All My Dreams

It was dark and cold when Sai-Rin opened her eyes. She tried to make sense of where she was, which happened quickly since she felt that familiar, awful pain in her chest and her throat tightened up. Sai-Rin realized with horror that she was underwater. She had air in her lungs, but it wouldn't be enough for long. Strangely, she could hear footsteps above her. As Sai-Rin struggled to get to the surface, she could make out a figure standing above her.

Her heart soared as she recognized the deer hoof prints of Alastor's shoes, though she couldn't understand how he was standing on the water's surface. Sai-Rin reached out to finally break the surface of the water, but to her dismay, her hand slammed against a thick wall of solid ice. Sai-Rin's air was running out quickly, and she banged her fists against the ice, trying to break through. Sai-Rin felt a bit of hope as she saw Alastor kneeling down over her. But he wasn't making any effort to break the ice and get her out of there. He just knelt there, hands neatly folded in his lap, and smiling that ever present smile.

"ALASTOR, HELP ME!" The water turned Sai-Rin's desperate plea for help into gurgles. Her whole body burned despite the biting cold of the icy water, every cell screaming for air. Alastor finally got up and walked away, his retreating footsteps echoing on the ice. Sai-Rin realized there was no point in trying to hold onto life anymore. Her vision blackened, and she let her whole body go limp and sink as she once again let water flood her lungs.

"Darling, wake up!" Sai-Rin woke up coughing and gasping as she laid on Alastor's bed, the sheets soaked with salty water. Even though the dream was over, she still couldn't breathe. How could she have forgotten her anniversary? Alastor held Sai-Rin in his arms, completely helpless. "It'll be ok, Dear. Just look at me." Alastor said, trying to soothe her.

Sai-Rin could tell he was panicking. His smile had completely disappeared. "A-ALASTOR...!" Sai-Rin managed to yell. "HELP M-" Sai-Rin convulsed in Alastor's arms as she choked on a mouthful of water. Her mind was going fuzzy, and she grew weaker and weaker in her lover's embrace.

Finally, Sai-Rin closed her eyes and let her head rest against Alastor's shoulder. She could feel his whole body trembling with grief as he started to cry. Hearing Alastor cry killed Sai-Rin more than a watery grave ever could. After a while, Sai-Rin opened her eyes and coughed out the last of the water. As she looked up at Alastor, Sai-Rin couldn't hold back a groan of sadness. Alastor's eyes were glossed over with tears, and his face was soaked.

"Oh Darling, you're ok!" Alastor sobbed, clutching Sai-Rin to his chest and crying into her shoulder. Sai-Rin weakly lifted up her hands and gently petted Alastor's ears and hair. "It's ok, Hon....I'm fine now..." she whispered. "What happened...?" Alastor lifted his head from Sai-Rin's shoulder. "Your death anniversary came quicker than expected, Dear..." he whispered, sniffling and wiping tears from his eyes.

"I woke up to find you drowning in your sleep." Sai-Rin shuddered, remembering the horrible nightmare she had. She leaned her forehead against Alastor's chest. "Don't ever leave me alone, ok Alastor?" she whispered, clutching the front of his jacket. Alastor pulled Sai-Rin into a gentle hug, and tenderly kissed her forehead. "Never in a million years, Sai-Rin."

Sai-Rin snuggled into Alastor's chest, her head pressed against his heart. The gentle beat soothed Sai-Rin back into drowsiness. "Alastor?" she mumbled. "Yes, my Darling Dear?" Alastor whispered. "Will you sing with me until I fall asleep?" Alastor paused for a moment, then laid down, bringing Sai-Rin with him as their heads pressed against the pillows.

"Of course, my Little Love." he crooned as his microphone played a haunting melody, a sea shanty of sorrow.