Aigonorous, The Detached Slacker: Story 6

When Aigonorous brings me to a mansion I've never seen before, I'm awed at the luxurious décor. But that doesn't last for very long when Aigonorous suddenly has me worried for the reason we're here.

Someone he wants to see?!

As to what Aigonorous tells me, this 'he', is can be difficult. I find myself entire body stiff, standing at attention. My eyes darting around the room, expecting for someone to appear.

"S-So, are they are friend of yours?" I nervously ask.

"Not really..."

"Oh...so, then, a relative?"

"You'll see." Aigonorous discloses the conversation at that.

My thoughts run wild. It must be some high-ranking god if they own a fabulous mansion like this...

"Oh, there you are." Aigonorous calmly says as he turns to look behind us.

I slowly turn around, following Aigonorous line of sight, and something leaps out of the shadows.

"Me-eh!"

"Whoa—w-wait...a goat?" I jump a few steps back at the sudden surprise.

A single goat appears, its hooves clopping lightly on the floor. The second it spots Aigonorous, it bleats loudly.

"Aigonorous...you came all the way here to see this goat?" I question.

He sighs, irritated. "It's not a goat."

"O-Oh...but..."

"It's a proud divine beast."

I nod. "Okay, okay."

Sounds like a goat...looks like a goat.... its a goat. I keep the thought to myself.

Then, Aigonorous places two fingers in his mouth, and whistles. As the sound echoes throughout the mansion, goats, one after another, start coming out of all sorts of directions.

"...H-How many are there?" I ask, bewildered at the sight.

"There are four in this room, and there are more in the back."

"Meh-eh!" One of the goats, nuzzles its face against Aigonorous leg.

I smile at the sight. Awe...they like him.

The goats vie for Aigonorous' attention.

"So...divine beasts, huh?" I look at Aigonorous.

He nods. "They're holy heralds of the gods."

"And, that means? —Wait, do the other gods have heralds like these too?"

I then ponder the idea. I've known them for a year, not once have they brought up magical beasts...

"No." Aigonorous then goes on to explain. "Each god is born with a unique ability. The power to stop time, or the power to manipulate shadows. These guys are my power. I have the power to control living things... The power to make them in my holy servants."

"The power to make them into your followers?" I clarify.

"The birds in the air, the fish in the sea... I can make any animal love and obey me."

"Wait, any animal?" I gasp. "Aigonorous, that's amazing!" I look to the goats. "So, that means you controls these guys with that power too?"

He nods, lethargically. "Mm-hmm..."

Then the heralds seem to have had enough of their reunion with their master. They leave us, wagging their tails as they go.

"Is that why you take care of them here like this?"