Chapter Twenty-Seven

I get a text from Ben about thirty minutes after we arrive back at the hotel. I'd been waiting for word on what Mr. Calhoun had said to Josh and KP. The text says that Josh is on his way back.

Pulling on a hoodie, which just so happens to be Josh's that he lent me, I leave my room and head next door. When Ben opens the door, I step inside. Marlee's already there, pacing back and forth.

"Did he say anything other than that he's on the way?" I ask as Ben shuts the door behind me.

Ben shakes his head. "No."

"Maybe there's not that much news to report, then," Marlee offers. We all look up at a knock on the door, but it's Sky. He sits down on the bed next to me.

"Have we heard anything y-" Sky begins, but Marlee answers.

"Nothing yet."

Just then, the door opens and Josh enters. "What is everyone doing here?" He asks in an exhausted voice.

"Waiting for you," I answer. He lets out a soft sigh.

"What did Mr. Calhoun say?" Sky asks quietly.

Josh sits down. "Can we not talk about it tonight?" He doesn't say anything more, but Sky stands up.

"Yeah," I agree softly, standing up as well. Marlee follows. "We'll see you tomorrow, then." We leave the room, say goodnight to each other, and go our separate ways.

Hours later, I'm still awake. Josh must be, too, because he sends me a text.

Josh Burrage

<< Are you awake? >>

<< Yeah. What's up? >>

<< Can I come over? >>

<< Sure >>

I switch on a lamp and pull my hair to the side so it doesn't look as messy. When he arrives, he looks as if he hasn't slept either. His lip is swollen, and a bruise has started to form under his eye. "Hey," he says softly as I let him in. "Did I wake you up?"

I shake my head. "No, I've been awake. Couldn't sleep." I sit back down on the bed and he does the same.

When Josh looks at me, he gives a slight, tired smile. "You're wearing my hoodie," he points out, and I nod.

"You never asked for it back," I say with a shrug. "Do you want it?"

He shakes his head. "No. It looks better on you anyway." His smile falls after a few seconds.

"So," I start quietly, "why are you still up? Does it have something to do with what Mr. Calhoun said?"

He nods, looking down. "Yeah."

"What did he say?"

Josh hesitates. "Turns out he believed whatever KP told him," he starts. "I tried to explain, but he said there wasn't enough evidence against KP. No proof. He said my 'attack' was unprovoked and uncalled for." He pauses as his voice falters.

"So?" I prod gently, afraid of what the consequences would be.

"So he's sending me home on a plane Tuesday afternoon," Josh finishes, his voice shaky. "I have to leave tour."

My heart drops. "What?" He nods slightly, biting his lip and obviously trying to hold back tears. "Josh, I am so sorry," I say softly. His job means everything to him, and now he's lost it because of me. In a moment of pure instinct, I reach out and give him a hug. He practically melts into me as I wrap my arms around him. I've never seen him this upset before.

When he looks at me, I feel my heart shattering. The usually sunny boy sitting in front of me is uncharacteristically broken, beat up, and utterly defeated. "Wait, what are you sorry for? You didn't do anything."

"I should have told Mr. Calhoun sooner." I shake my head. "None of this would have happened if I had just come clean about everything. I'm so, so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen."

He sits up, and I let my arms drop. "Don't blame yourself. You did nothing-"

I interrupt him, "That's what I'm saying, Josh. I did nothing. I did nothing because I was scared of losing my own job. But instead my stupidity cost you yours. Look, I'll make this right. I'll talk to Mr. Calhoun and tell him what happened."

Josh looks at me with sad eyes. "I already told him what happened, Indy. There's not enough proof to get KP in serious trouble."

"There's got to be," I argue. "What about security cameras?"

"They don't have them in the dressing room."

As I rack my brain, I stand up to pace back and forth. "I got out of the room for a few seconds. Some camera had to catch that."

"Did anything happen outside the room?"

I shake my head. "No."

Josh sighs, defeated. "Indy, there's nothing. I've already thought it through, trust me." Finally, I quit pacing and sit back down with a huff. I can't believe I was so stupid.

"You're exhausted. You should get back to bed," I advise, turning to Josh. "I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

With a sigh, he reluctantly stands up. "Yeah. See you in the morning. Goodnight, Indy." Josh quietly slips into the hallway and I try to go to sleep. Guilty thoughts keep running through my head. Why didn't I say anything sooner?