Chapter 18 - Queen's Contract

Once again her Lich King came back empty-handed, kneeling before the throne of the Wraith Queen Miranda

Once again her Lich King came back empty-handed, kneeling before the throne of the Wraith Queen Miranda. "My apologies your highness. They were no longer in this realm when my army arrived and did not return until after the sun." King Krueger told her with a slow deep raspy voice.

The earth trembled with her rage and the glow of her eyes bathed the chamber in green light. She was about to lose control. Her undead army could only hunt at night and now the Dreamers they sought could hide outside the realm. This was unacceptable! Loosing control she sent bolts of lightning in all directions, electricity snaking out and sparking along the chamber walls. King Krueger, unflinching, remained kneeling in front of her throne.

After her rage subsided, she looked at the Lich King. "If we can not hunt them at night, then we must hunt them during the day. But how?" She asked herself pacing in front of her throne made of bones, ringing her hands.

A kicking and screaming young teenage girl was being dragged into the Queen's Throne Room. The knights were having trouble dragging her in though she was much smaller than they were. Her next meal had arrived, and it was spicy. This one had some spirit and fight in her, not the submissive pleading Dreamer the Queen was used to having. Miranda smiled. These rare ones were much more satisfying.

Without warning the girl performed a series of quick moves, flipping in the grip of the undead knights hands, kicking them both in the face in the process and breaking from their grips landing in a couched position.The Queen saw the girls deep blue eyes and the flames burning in the black pupils. As the knights turned to recapture her they were met with a fireball of intense heat that turned them to ash.

King Krueger stood, protecting the Queen. The crystal ball on the top of his staff sparked with blue electricity, and he pointed it at the girl sending a brilliant blue bolt. But it missed its target as she dove to the right, rolled, and came back up with her hands outstretched. The earth split open and lava came spewing out coursing toward the King and Queen. It met an invisible barrier and stopped, then a freezing spray came from the Queen's hands solidifying the lava into hard stone.

The girl turned to run, her long blond hair wiping behind her. The Wraith Queen tore open time and space and stepped through directly into the girls path grabbing her by the throat lifting her petite frame into the air. The girl grabbed at the Queen's hand, kicking her feet, choking. Then the queen threw her to the ground and skeletal arms pushed from the floor pinning her arms and legs.

Miranda looked down on the still non-compliant young woman twisting and turning trying to break the grips that held her. She wasn't going without fighting to the end. Miranda smiled. This one would be delicious. The Wraith Queen bent over the squirming girl with her glowing green hands outstretched ready to feed when a thought occurred to her.

Sitting on top of her, Miranda transformed her hands into talons and scraped a claw lightly across the girls throat. "I'll make a deal with you child. I'll spare your life on one condition."