Chapter 34: Eve Eve

TW?: IT'S CHRISTMAS! I celebrate Christmas, so if you don't then I'm sorry but I do! I recognize that not everyone celebrates it, so I thought I should make a warning just in case!

–– About one month later...

It's Christmas Eve Eve and you got home a week ago. You were helping your mum put up the Christmas tree while your dad sat laughing at the two of you. Your mum held the bottom ring while you tried to line up the stem of the tree. Laughing you finally got it in and you grabbed the next layer. You always wondered why your parents insisted on buying a tree so massive that it came in three parts, but when it was up and decorated it made the living room look beautiful.

"See? That wasn't so hard was it girls?" Your dad was still laughing, sitting on his recliner chair with his left leg propped up. He bent forward and winced. Your mum went to his side quickly and you managed to put the next layer on.

"Billy, you have to be careful." She put her hand on your dads upper thigh, her other hand pressing his chest back down into the chair.

Your dad huffed, "I know, I just wish I could help my two girls. It isn't the same when we don't put the tree up together." He shrugged. He was smiling, but you could tell he was so sad.

Defeated.

It had been a tradition since you were little that the three of you always put the tree up together, every year on December 23rd, no matter what. That is until this year. You smiled back at your dad, letting him hand you the third and final layer of the tree.

"Don't worry dad, we got this!" He grinned back at you, but you noticed his head drop low when you took the top of the tree from him. You and your mum completed the tree, and while your mum was fluffing up the branches you went over to sit on the ground beside your dads chair. He helped you pick the ornaments and baubles to put on the tree first, he always liked to pick the order they went on. It changed every year and he said that he went with however he was feeling that holiday season.

He decided on the baby blue and silver ones first, snowflakes and icicles. You hummed along to the Christmas music as you hung them on the tree. Glancing back at your dad every few minutes to get his opinion on where they should go. Your mum started detangling the string-lights and you continued following your dads directions for the ornaments.

You'd spent the entire day decorating the tree, it was no easy feat. The tree was huge, and there were so many different ornaments to choose from. Tinsel and lights to finish it off. You searched the boxes for the tree-topper: an angel that your parents got the year you were born. They said that you were their angel, and so for your first ever Christmas they wanted to make it special. Now it was added to the tradition. When you were little, your dad would lift you up on his shoulders so you could place the angel on the top, when you got too big, he'd just hover behind you and hold your shoulders.

You turned to face him, sitting in the chair, holding the angel. "Dad, I-" He cut you off, already trying to get up.

"No honey, I have to do this with you. We can't break this tradition." You hopped over to him, helping him to his feet... well his foot you should say. You lifted his leg off the chair and held him steady as he straightened his other leg. He winced and wobbled a bit, but you held him strong, letting him place much of his weight onto you. You grabbed the crutch that was beside his chair and handed it to him. He nodded in thanks.

He was so stubborn and so determined that he let go of your completely and hobbled over to the tree with his crutch, his other hand still holding on to the angel. You followed closely behind him so that he wouldn't fall, and when you reached the tree you went to stand in front of him. He handed you the angel.