32. Match day

There's always a buzz of energy when it's match day. The players wearing their kit to breakfast finalizing match strategies. Students wearing colours to represent the team they're supporting. Groups huddle around the tables, adding last bits onto their banners or signs. As you walk down people you've never talked or even met, wish you luck.

I sit myself in the middle of the beaters, Harry slightly to the right opposite me. Ron by his side holding chess pieces. Harry takes one and places it on the chess board laid out on the table. While the team eats Harry talks through the game plan. I can tell he hates not being able to play such a big match. We have the chance to win the cup. I turn and see the Slytherin team doing the same minus the chess. Instead the captain giving the team stern words pointing his finger at each of them.

"Ginny?" Harry asks. I turn my attention back to him, the team all looking at me. "I know seeker isn't your main position and you may want to help with scoring but please try your hardest not too. As soon as you find the snitch take it, don't let them get the advantage." I nod.

After a few more words Harry dismisses us all. I walk over to Hemione with Harry and Ron as the team head down to the pitch. Hermione stands as soon as she sees us approaching.

"Me and Ginny will go down with the team now. After the game should we meet you in the common room or near the pitch?" Ron asks Hermione.

"I'll see you two after the match, i'll stay by the changing rooms. I'll be in the stands with Neville and Luna so look out for us." Hermione turns to Harry. "I'll see you after your detention. Most likely we'll be in the common room by then." Hermione says softly. Not wanting Harry to feel even worse about not being with the team.

Harry scratches the back of his neck, only making eye contact for a few seconds before looking back at the ground. "I'll see you all then I guess. I need to go now so I won't be late. Good luck." He quickly shakes Rons hand, patting him on the arm. Then swiftly hugs me and Hermione with one arm. Harry pushes through the sea of people who are heading out of the great hall and down towards the stands.

I look towards Ron, a weird look in his eyes. The whole team's had the same expression since finding out about Harry not playing. After Wood left school Harry along side the Twins were the 'best team players' which is why Harry got voted captain. He's the glue sticking the team togther and without him, we feel like we're lost. But we all trust him and know he's supporting us and giving us into good hands. Ron's been temporarily made captain by Harry until his detentions are finished.

Ron places his hand on my lower back and pushes me to walk, taking me out of my thoughts. Hermione walks alongside us right until we get to the pitch. "Good luck." she waves cheerfully.

***

Once the team has had one last pep talk from Ron we're in our game mode. None of us speaking to eachother. Instead we get our brooms, get into formation and start to walk towards the exit. I start to feel the pressure of being seeker but push it down, trying to use it to my advantage. I can do this. I've played quiditch most of my life. I taught myself. I can do this. I repeat over and over, slowing my breathing. Taking control.

"Gryffindor!" The announcers voice booms around the pitch, the voice travelling into our corridor. My grip tightens on my broom. One by one we mount our brooms, kick off and fly around the pitch. Punching fists in the air and swerving between stands of roaring students.

Slytherin are then announced and do the same. Throwing their beater bats to eachother and growling at our team. Madam Hooch places the equipment box on the floor. Speaking to both teams she explains the rules of our game. '...no foul play...' '... catch the snitch...' '...have a clean game...' are some of the things I hear as we all hastily get into our positions.

Eventually, Hooch blows the whistle, gripping our and the crowds attention. She let's out the snitch and my eyes immediately lock onto it. The sound of bludgers are heard darting around. Hooch blows the whistle one more time signalling the quaffles been thrown up.

"And the game begins." The comintators voice fades as I push forward on my broom. The wind whipping past my ears as I follow the snitch.