Part 3

An important note about this part: This whole chapter is a flashback scene, in which you finally found out what went down between Calum and Josie that was being referenced in the previous parts. So remember: this whole thing is a flashback and takes place about 2-3 months prior to the real time story!! Next part jumps back into present time!

Also: This chapter contains smut.

____________________________________________

Josie saw him the moment he entered the diner, standing tall in the doorway of the mom-and-pop located a few minutes off campus she frequented with her friends. Although she recognized his favorite leather jacket and rings glimmering under the lights, it took Josie a second to recognize him—what with the fact that his hair had grown out since she last saw him, and that he was practically dead on social media. Her jaw dropped in obvious surprise, absently raising her hand to get his attention, which she earned right away as his eyes landed on her from behind his sunglasses and he made his way over.

A startled laugh escaped Josie as Calum neared her, getting up and mirroring his grin as he opened his arms to pull her in for a hug. "Hi," she greeted through her smile, chin resting on his shoulder as she felt his arms wrap around her waist. A familiar, fresh and woodsy scent tickled her nose over the smell of French fries and burgers, closing her eyes briefly as she took in the feel of Calum. Familiar and comforting. "When the hell did your hair get so long?"

She heard him chuckle, the sound deep and warm, as they pulled away. He took off his sunglasses, revealing dark brown eyes alight with amusement, as he settled on the chair across from her. Josie was raising her eyebrows at him in incredulity, gaze tilted upwards at the dark curls that sat artistically tussled atop his head. Last she saw him in person, his hair was somewhat shorter and straighter, a bit of a one-eighty to what it was now. Still unfairly attractive, though, no doubt about it.

"Wanted to change things up a bit, let it grow out," Calum told her with a shrug, smile still present as he hung his sunglasses from the neckline of his shirt. He ran his fingers through the curls, raising an eyebrow as his full lips puckered into a pout. "You really don't like it?"

Josie shot him a look, his pout splitting into a grin as she picked up the menu. "I like it," she told him with a roll of her eyes. "Curls suit you."

Calum's features set into an endeared smile. "Thanks, Jos."

She smiled before snickering as she picked up the menu. "Thank God you grew out of that emo haircut phase. The fringe was horrendous."

A huff of laughter escaped him, shaking his head in fond amusement. "Fucking hell." It only made Josie's smile wider.

The two of them ordered their drinks and food, and as they waited, Josie watched as Calum folded his arms on top of the square table, dark eyes wandering around as he took in his surroundings. It was one of Josie's favorite places to come, with their red booths and stools at the long counter, a window looking into the kitchen where the cooks bustled with activity. The blinds for the windows were pulled all the way up, allowing for the early afternoon sunlight to brighten up the place, black and white checkered floors sleek and classic movie posters framed on the walls.

"It's a nice place," Calum commented after the waitress dropped off their drinks, and Josie felt herself smiling at his approval as his dark eyes met her blue. She mirrored his position, arms folding on top. "D'you come here a lot?"

"Mhm," Josie nodded, her own gaze briefly wandering as if she as here for the first time. "It's nearby and the food's great, so we come here a lot."

With a quirk of his eyebrow, Calum brought his glass towards him, guiding the straw towards his mouth as he asked, "We as in you and Austin?" before taking a sip.