CHAPTER ONE: GONE

I took out my journal, yes I'm a guy and I write in a journal and no I'm not gay. I'm writing in the one I got as a freshman in high school, and started a new entry.

Saturday, 12-28-13

I've already written about my co-worker now friend, Logan, and devoted a whole page to when he invited me to the Fifth Harmony concert, which was also the day we got stoned at a house party. Not a good time to agree to going to a girly concert. But I did, so now I have to go. I'm only going because I feel bad for him. He really likes this girl group that sings songs for like 12 year olds and he knows everyone else would laugh in his face if he asked them to come. Well, today's the day. A year and a half ago, I hated Logan and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Now, Logan and I are roommates in university, and I'm working on a degree in art. Anyways, I'm not changing out of the clothes I wore to work for this concert. Black shoes, black jeans, white t-shirt and a black sweater. I have an architecture class before my creative writing group. And I have to get to work and I promised Logan I'd play him some song that he wanted to hear on guitar.

I shut my journal,  running a finger over the quote engraved on the blue fake leather, "We do not remember days, we remember moments." Putting the piece back in a drawer, I grabbed my bag and headed to class. Architecture was boring as ever and my creative writing group was fantastic. It's just a group of my friends and I in a room for an hour and a half. You can guess how much work we got done. After, I left school grounds and headed to the music store where I worked. Logan was already there, organizing albums, CDs and tapes. They've been selling well all season. "Sup dude," I greeted him and went to the back to put on my uniform. Typically noisy, he was remarkably quiet today. I turned and walked to where the musical instruments were stationed. I weaved through the maze of stands to where my guitar usually sat waiting for me, but it wasn't there. My acoustic guitar wasn't there. The one that hated being in tune and couldn't play some chords if you were using a pick. The guitar I'd mastered when no one else could. Where was it?

"Uh... Jackson?" Logan started, and I turned towards him. My guitar was gone, but today was a special day for him, and I wasn't going to ruin that. "I-I'm really sorry dude, they just came in here, and-"

"It's fine. It... It doesn't matter. I'll find another guitar. There are tons here. Let's just get our work done and get out of here and go to the concert. Okay?" He looked unsure."Are you still excited?" We laughed. We both knew Logan had been excited about this concert for a year and a half. Today would be a bad day to suddenly not be.