Chapter 7: Bitter Work

*Your POV*

  After a night of actual rest, I woke up refreshed the next day, and Aang was just as excited as I was today to learn earth bending. Well, I was less excited and more worried that I could possily mess everything up. But you thought it over in your mind, trying to gain inner peae and sensefor the element.

Aang: Today's the day.

  He leaps in the air as he lands next to me.

Aang: We finally get to learn earth bending, isn't that amazing (Y/N)?

Y/N: . . .

  Aang noticed you were a bit spaced out as he wave his hand in your face to snap you out of it.

Y/N: Hmm?

Aang: You okay?

Y/N: I just had a very weird dream, but it felt like reality, it's weird. But of course, I'm just happy I get to actually become a little more useful.

  Sokka grumbles in his sleeping bag at the noise of us talking. I guess he still needs more sleep.

  The earth shakes as Toph's tent erupts. 

Toph: Good morning earth bending students.

Aang: Good morning Sifu Toph.

Katara: Hey, you never called me Sifu Katara.

Aang: Well, if you think I should.

  Sokka grumbles more at the ongoing conversation.

Toph: Sorry snoozles, we'll do our earth bending as quietly as we can.

  She kicks the ground with her heel causing Sokka to get launched into the sky. Luckily he landed safely on the ground. He hops off in his sleeping bag mumbling to himself in clear frustration.

  Me and Aang gather with Toph as Aang asks what we're gonna learn today.

Aang: So what move are you gonna teach us first? Rockalanche, the Trembler, oh, maybe you can teach us to make a whirlpool out of land.

  Toph puts her hand on Aang's chest to stop his overactive thinking. 

Toph: Let's just start with 'Move a Rock.'

  Toph sets us up in front of our own boulder as she explains the basics of what it was we were doing.

Toph: The key to earth bending is your stance. You've got to be steady and strong. Rock is a stubborn element. If you're going to move it, you've got to be like a rock yourself.

Aang: Like a rock. Got it.

Toph: Good. Now the actual motion of this one is pretty simple.

  She then slams the rock against the canyon wall. 

Toph: Okay, you ready to give it a try?

  Aang goes first.

Aang: Okay, I'm ready.

  Aang takes a deep breath, focusing his power as he goes to move the boulder but instead is forced flying back into Appa.

Sokka: Rock beats air bender.

  Sokka says with a slight chuckle.

Toph: *sigh* This is gonna be a long day. Now you try (Y/N).

  I nod as I take my stance and tense myself up. I go to move the boulder the way Toph showed me. A simple, easy motion of ust moving it. I focus myself and find my center as I drive my fist into the side of the rock to move it, but instead the boulder completed shatters into pebbles.