Chapter 5: Jyle.

Chapter 5

~John’s POV~

“Okay that’s everything… I think.”

I glanced over at him with a frown. “You think?”

“I don’t know Johnny, I feel like I’m leaving something.”

I shook my head. “You’ve got three giant suitcases for a three week trip…you’re not leaving anything, you’re taking too much.”

He shrugged, as was his usual practice and came to stand beside me, staring down at the shelving unit I was trying to put together.

“You want me to finish packing for you?”

“Already did…my bag’s over there.” I gestured to the duffel by the couch.

He frowned as expected and I raised a brow in challenge. “Why do you always do this?”

“Do what?”

“This!” he pointed to the duffel. “Every time we go on a trip you pack that stupid bag and you always forget something, no matter how many times I tell you it’s too small.”

“No, you always forget something. I bring exactly what I need.”

He rolled his eyes, folding his arms before him. “Remember Kansas?”

“That’s because you went through my shit and repacked everything.”

“Well maybe if you had actually packed enough stuff, I wouldn’t have had to do it for you.”

I sighed and turned my attention back to my screwdriver and the unfinished shelf.

“Did you pack enough underwear?”

“Why are you even asking when we both know you’re gonna go check anyway?”

 When he ignored me and went to crouch by the bag, I gritted my teeth. Sometimes the need to reach over and squeeze the life out of him threatened to consume me. God knows the little shit was lucky I liked him alive.

“I knew it.” I heard him grumble to himself, and a moment later he was making his way up the stairs—determination in every step.

I waited about half a minute and sure enough, the sounds of drawers being pulled open sounded. I screwed the nail in place and was reaching for another, when I heard the creaking of the staircase—evidence of his descent.

He entered the family room with his arms full of my clothes and I watched with mild irritation as he dropped them on the floor beside my duffel.

“Nothing else is gonna fit in that bag Kyle.”

“Then I’ll grab another suitcase.”

“If you take out even one more suitcase, you’re carrying all of them.” I warned and he turned to glare at me.

I didn’t back down. He was being ridiculous and he knew it. “Fine I’ll put them in one of mine.”

I turned away from him and screwed in yet another nail, while he struggled to reopen one of his stuffed cases.

This alone was evidence of how the trip would be.  It wouldn’t be the relaxation I imagined, it would just be Kyle irritating the shit out of me, until I threw him overboard— like last time.

“Dad wants us to come over for dinner tonight.” He announced a few minutes later and I jammed another piece of wood in place.

“What time? Remember I need to go into the office later.”