Carter (e)

Carter
9.
All I could do was pray she didn't get sucked into the rumors. There was no doubt in my mind that she's heard most of them already—and even still, I felt the anxiety beginning to gnaw at my stomach. Even though I told myself I needed a secretary that would stay, I knew I cared more about what Hazel thought of me.

I was sure I'd come to regret my decision to hire her. But then again, there was something about Hazel that had me angry a little less. Even if she didn't know one thing about the business world, at least Hazel could have me second guessing every word that I say.

Maybe it was her dark, doe eyes, or the way she held herself with such an air of poise that made Hazel seem older somehow—she couldn't be much older than twenty-two or twenty-three—but I couldn't decide which captivated me most.

No. This was so stupid—I shouldn't be thinking about some stupid girl. She was going to be nothing but my secretary, one that would be gone in a matter of weeks—and judging by what happened in the coffee shop, a sensitive, petty girl. Hazel wouldn't last a day.

At the sound of knocking, my head snapped up. The sweet distraction was comforting, but the moment I ushered the person inside, the feeling quickly fled.

Hazel made an entrance, dark eyes penetrating my green ones. Her movements were timid as she stepped in my direction.

"I need your help, sir."  There was a hint of defeat in Hazel's voice, and was quick to notice the embarrassment warming her cheeks as she glanced away.

"What?" I snapped.

Hazel looked up at me then, face still tinted. "I...I can't figure out what I'm doing."

"Figure it out yourself." I retorted, returning my gaze back to my computer.

Irritation swelled inside of me as my heart picked up a beat with the familiar weight of anxiety. Why did Hazel want my help?

"I don't know your business's protocol, sir," Hazel responded. "I can't—I can't do my job well unless you explain your system."

Emotion filled my chest, threatening to spill over. "And I don't like people in my office uninvited."

Hazel didn't move. "But, sir—?"

"Get out."

Reluctantly, she nodded her head and slipped out of my office, but it wasn't before glancing back one last time.

The moment she disappeared, I felt the breath slowly seep back into my lungs. I knew I could have easily helped Hazel, but it was much easier to hide away and pretend I didn't care. The familiar dose of fear that prickled my skin was enough to keep me away, and I knew better than to keep myself in one place very long.

Being comfortable meant no chance of slipping up.

For a long and hard moment, I stared at the door, fully expecting Hazel to march back in, but it stayed shut. And when the phone rang, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

With a deep breath, I was beginning to wonder when this bitter reality would end, or if it ever would.

•    •    •

The evening sun came shining through my office. The warmth of its glow reminded me that I had been here much too long. My tired eyes were straining to read the contents on my computer screen, could feel a headache forming behind my eyes.