Carter (e)

Carter
21.
My foot tapped the ground restlessly, eager for this day to be over. I pulled my gaze from the door that Hazel had just walked out of, my mind spinning as I pictured her standing on the other side of my desk. Smiling, kind, and curious. I didn't think I it was possible to see so many emotions on someone's face, one that filled me with an unfamiliar bout of warmth. Unafraid.

She wasn't afraid of me. Unlike the others, there was something about Hazel Hazel made me feel like less of a monster. With her wide yet scrutinizing doe eyes, she left my head clouded with just one look.

My computer sounded with a notification, pulling me from my thoughts and reminding me of the client that was supposed to be visiting in fifteen minutes. A frown tugged at the corners of my lips.

If Hazel got anything right about me, it was just how much I didn't care about this company. In fact, I wished I could tell her just how much I hated it, wished I could shove all of my efforts to keep this company running back into my father's grave where it belonged.

But if I didn't have the business, I'd have nowhere else to hide. The one place where I didn't have to think. Safe from the darkness.

Voices suddenly carried through the other side of the doorway, pulling me from my thoughts and toward the sound of Hazel's familiar muffled voice. The other I barely heard, though when I did, it was deep and familiar, and had my heart jumping into my throat. I stood abruptly.

I would never be safe. Now that Thomas was back, a sense of normalcy could never happen. I was doing just fine before he came. So why was he here? What did he want?

My fingers hovered over the door knob, my ear pressed to the wood. I couldn't help but feel unsure of my brother's intentions—not just toward Hazel, but the rest of my employees, could only imagine what he's said to them already.

"Ms. Morgan," I heard Thomas say, "how funny it is to meet you here—after all the research I've done, I didn't realize just how famous my brother really is. I'm so sorry for you."

"Would you like to speak with him?" She responded with.

Thomas didn't answer for a long moment, but I could hear the chuckle in his voice as if Hazel's words were somehow funny. I strained to hear his voice.

"Yes, but first I need to know something."

"You've been here long enough to hear about all of the rumors, right? Which, it makes me wonder why someone like you is still even here..."

"Someone like me?" Hazel's voice cut in, sounding confused—there was a hint of annoyance.

My lips tilted slightly at her words. If I did get anything right about Hazel, it was that. With every turn, she didn't hesitate to surprise me. One second I swore I got her all figured out—easy and predictable—and then the next she's doing something I I ever would have expected.

Not only with her looks, but her wit and quiet yet caring nature—it was oddly comforting.

"Look," Thomas mused, "From what I've seen, you're pretty, you look smart, and so surely you'd know better than to work for an egotistical maniac—if, that is, what people are saying is true."

"I don't have a choice."

"Sure you do," said Thomas matter-of-factly. "No one should force you into a job you never signed up for in the first place."