XXXIII. The Storm

"Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change." Shannon L. Alder

----

XXXIII. The Storm

The two weeks that Sophie and Maddie had spent in America had flown, much faster than any other fortnight that Sophie had ever experienced. They spent another week with Noah's family, exploring beautiful Napa, before flying back to LA for their last few days in the States.

Sophie and Noah had decided to leave their distance conversation until the end of the trip, choosing to both think on things before coming up with solutions when it was time for Sophie and Maddie to go home.

The day before they were due to fly back to London, Noah surprised Maddie with a day that she would never forget. Sophie didn't think that she had ever seen Maddie as happy as she was walking down Main Street USA in Disneyland.

Maddie loved every minute of that day and had been absolutely ecstatic when she had managed to meet Elsa and Anna. Sophie honestly wanted to hug the ladies wearing the costumes. They were in complete character and made Maddie's year.

Spending that time together, just the three of them, for Sophie it felt like they were a real family. She loved driving with Noah. Just that simple thing of sitting in the front seat beside him with Maddie in the back felt like such a normal activity.

They had agreed to think about the distance and Sophie had been.

Sophie lovedLondon. She loved the atmosphere, the culture, the sounds, the rhythm. But it was a city. It wasn't people. And she could always fly back and visit.

Sophie had found people in coming to America. Family it felt like. Joy was ready to smother her with love when Sophie was ready for it. Sophie had never had that before, and to think that she could be taking Noah away from that hurt.

She didn't want to take Noah away from his family, the same as she didn't want to be away from them either. The idea of moving was terrifying. It wasn't like she was moving from London to Cambridge, she was moving from London across the bloody world. And she wasn't moving alone.

How would Maddie handle such a change? There was so much to consider! Her school had only just started to make things work for her and she had a lovely psychologist.

The upside was that Maddie didn't have many personal connections at home. That was terrible, really, but she wouldn't miss anyone if they moved to America. She would have aunts and grandparents ... and a dad, too.

Sophie knew that it would be quite possible for her brain to talk herself out of this decision, but she knew it in her gut that this was the right one. It would be frightening and challenging, but it was the right move.

She and Maddie belonged with Noah.

It was Sophie and Maddie's last night in America. They were flying home in the morning. Maddie was upstairs asleep in Noah's bed, and Sophie and Noah were staying in Vanessa and Tally's bedroom while they stayed on in Napa.

Sophie sat on the sofa with her legs crossed facing Noah. They had been watching a film absently, but Sophie had switched it off, gaining his attention.

"This is it, then?" Noah asked her.

Sophie nodded. "Yes ..." she said softly.

Noah took a deep breath. "I don't want you to feel pressured or anything. But I do want you to know that I want to make this work," he said determinedly.