XXXV. The Cavalry

"No matter how long it's been or how far you've drifted, no matter how unknowable you might be, there were at least two people in the world whose job it was to see you, to find you, to recognize you and reel you back in. No matter what." Jennifer E. Smith, This Is What Happy Looks Like

---- 

XXXV. The Cavalry

Sophie was made to be fingerprinted, photographed, forced to surrender her and Maddie's passports, processed and bailed before she was allowed to leave the police station.

Even then, until her court date, she was required to check in at the police station once a week like a paroled criminal all because her dropkick of an ex-boyfriend had a jealousy complex.

What was worse was that this all happened in front of Beck, Keith and Maureen, as they still had not left the police station. Sophie could have sworn that she saw Beck filming her, as though he was getting the biggest kick out of seeing her humiliated.

As Sophie was collecting her personal belongings from behind the counter, Beck approached the bench, standing next to her.

"So, uh, when do I get my kid?" he asked the officer, though clearly trying to elicit a reaction from Sophie.

As if fate was listening, Olivia's phone pinged, and she smiled a smug smile of satisfaction.

"Not today, Mr Becker," Olivia replied bluntly. "I have an order from the judge ruling that Sophie's daughter will remain with her."

Sophie saw Beck's blue eyes flare. "What?" he exclaimed. This reaction drew in his parents, as they rose from their seats. "My lawyer filed an emergency custody order!"

"I don't abuse my child, you absolute moron!" hissed Sophie, but Olivia placed her hand in Sophie's shoulder to stop her.

"An emergency custody order is only granted in extreme cases of abuse or neglect. As Sophie's daughter has so clearly suffered neither, she will remain with her mother." Olivia spoke so condescendingly, but in a way that she was sure it would go over Beck's meaty head.

"I can't believe you're pushing him into this!" Sophie accused Keith and Maureen. "You knowhe's got no interest in being a dad. You practically have to force him to be around when Maddie comes over."

"Sophie," uttered Olivia.

"We're not forcing him into anything!" Maureen exclaimed defensively. "Kyle is Maddie's father, and nothing is going to change that."

Beck grinned. "Not even your boyfriend's going to change that, Soph," he taunted.

"Mr Becker, you will kindly refrain from speaking directly to my client. Should you struggle with this, I will have no qualms in taking you to court, wasting your time and money, and getting a restraining order for harassment."

Beck chuckled and shook his head. "Money, huh? Guess we know who's bankrolling you now, Soph. Shallow bitch."

Olivia sighed with a smile, before she turned around to the officer at the front desk. "May I speak with the lovely Constable Hendricks?" Turning back to Beck, she grinned and let him know, "she adores me," before she turned back to the police officer. "I need to make a report about harassment."

"Fuck me, fine!" hissed Beck. "Let's go."

Olivia fished into her briefcase and produced a business card. "For your solicitor."

Beck snatched it out of her hand before motioning for his parents to leave. They promptly left the police station.

"Um, ma'am, there is no Constable Hendricks," the police officer informed Olivia.