Chapter 16

Chapter 16

What was left when the fire was gone?

I thought it felt right but that right was wrong.

All caught up in the eye of the storm.

And trying to figure out what it's like moving on.

And I don't even know what words I've said,

My mouth kept moving but my mind went dead,

So picking up the pieces, now where to begin?

The hardest part of ending is starting again.

Linkin Park- Waiting for the end.

Alistair took a deep breath of clammy Ferelden air that didn't help the throbbing in the back of his head. She was leaving in a few days and he was reluctantly stuck in bed. He wasn't in bed now, but he wasn't far from it. Alistair leaned on the cold, stone wall that stopped him from carelessly falling to his death. That was the last thing he wanted, so he stepped away from the wall and headed back into his chambers.

The room was undeniably messy; Cameron's clothes were scattered carelessly across the floor. He feared what her room must have looked like while she lived in her estate in Kirkwall. He was just as bad though; his clothes were in an untidy heap in front of the dresser. Well maybe not as bad. He thought, as a small smile played on his lips.

A feeling of dread entered his mind as the thought of this room being tidy again when she left. What would he do without her? She had only just started opening up to him again, even if she did tell him it had been her birthday three days after it occurred. When he calculated that the three days ago had been the first time they made love, he felt instantly better.

Now it was over a week later and Alistair was getting restless. Cameron was leaving for Antiva for Maker knows how long and she was going by herself. As the king he shouldn't allow this, but if he couldn't go with her who would? He was the only person she talked to, except some in the guard, but they had no experience in anything expect guarding the castle walls. Of course there was Tomas, he had shown a great liking to her, yet it was clear even to him that Tomas liked her more than he should. Cameron, in her current state of mind, didn't seem to notice, or didn't care. This made her so much different from Riona. Memories of Riona flirting and tempting men she knew fancied her proved his point.

Alistair smoothed the back of his hand across his forehead before deciding he had to see her. Walking down to the sparring ring took him less than five minutes and he was just in time to see Cameron enter the ring, looking stronger and healthier than she has in months. Her dark red hair had been pulled into a braid that fell down her back. She wore armour that he had specifically ordered from Master Wade; made of silverite steel with a tint of red. On the back was the same engraving that was on the front of the journal he'd given her. It was fitting to her womanly frame and showed off her slender hips. She held two Finesse blades in either hand that glowed with enchantments. In her firm stance she looked like a fine rogue.

Alistair pulled his gaze away from her to find Tomas also looking at her. Alistair took this chance to confront him. As he approached, he was already prepared for the hesitance and nervousness in Tomas' eyes as he realised a king wanted to chat. These sort of looks he saw often in his guards, which he felt was the worst part of being king. As part of the Grey Warden's he was accepted and had always felt as part of the group. These days, he didn't have many 'true' friends.

"You're majesty." Tomas bowed.

Alistair couldn't help but sigh. "Please." Tomas lifted his head sceptically.