10. e pluribus unum - part two

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR - E PLURIBUS UNUM
PART TWO

𑁍

"HELP!" ROBIN HOLLERED for probably the fifteenth time that hour, her voice carrying on through the halls. "Somebody! Help!"

"Hey," Steve grumbled, and Jackie's heart leaped in her chest. "Can you stop yelling?"

"Steve!" The two girls said in unison, and Jackie let her head fall back onto his shoulder in relief. He was okay. Thank God.

"Oh my God," Robin breathed. "Steve, are you okay?"

"My ears are ringing, and I can barely take a breath, and my eye feels like it's about to pop out of my skull." Jackie frowned as she struggled in her restraints to grab his hand. "But that's normal after spending an entire day with Jackie."

She let out a fake scoff, smiling to herself once she realized that he was well enough to be making jokes. "Shut up, asswipe."

"That's a new one!" He announced, his head slowly raising. "Anyways, apart from that I think I'm doing pretty good."

"Well, the good news is that they're calling you a doctor."

Steve glanced around the room. "Is this his place of work?" The two girls chuckled. "I love the vibe. Charming."

"Yeah, tell me about it. Okay, Jackie and I came up with a plan."

"Oh God," Steve groaned. "Jackie's plans are suicidal."

"They are not!" She defended.

"Are too, but we're not gonna get into that right now. What's your plan?"

"Do you see that table over there? To your right?" Steve looked to his left, and Robin sighed. "No your other right."

"Oh. Yeah."

"You see those scissors?"

"Uh-huh."

"We thought that if the three of us moved our chairs at the same time that we could manage to get over there," Jackie explained. "And we could grab the scissors and cut ourselves free."

"Yeah, yeah," Steve nodded, stiffening as he regained hope. "Wow, those morons left scissors in here?"

Jackie felt a giggle escape her lips. "Yeah, they did. Total morons."

"Okay, so. On the count of three, we're gonna hop."

"All right."

"Ready? One, two three!"

The three of them jumped at the same time, and surprisingly made it over about an inch or two closer to the table. "Oh my God, it worked."

"It worked! Okay, again. Ready? One, two three!"

That time, however, it did not work, the chair legs slid out, and they fell to the ground. Jackie groaned as her leg sprawled out behind her awkwardly. "Shit. I think my ankle is broken."

Steve's head snapped in her direction at her confession, his gaze narrowing in worry. "Are you alright?"

"No," she winced, screwing her eyes shut. "This hurts like a bitch."

Robin suddenly let out a shaky breath, and the two shared a look. "Robin, it's okay," Steve comforted. "It's okay, don't cry. Robin...are you laughing?"

"Yeah," Robin said in between giggles.

"Jesus," Steve groaned.

"I'm sorry!" The other girl defended, still laughing. "I'm so sorry—it's just. I can't believe I'm gonna die. In a secret Russian base with Steve 'the hair' Harrington. It's just too trippy man!"