Chapter 2: Universe better be kidding (part 2)

Ava's POV.

I followed his gaze as he stood up and looked towards the opposite end of the bar spotting some groups of college kids chatting animatedly amongst themselves, i knew I'd made a deal with the devil himself the moment he turned to me with a smirk and i gasp in shock. Oh no! I know exactly what he's about to do, one word about my presence and those kids will surround me instantly asking for autographs and what not. Heaven knows i would never come here again if these kids find out i come here let alone have a brother that owns the place.

I am an author you see, and my latest novel "Summer chase" is a story about a rich hot headed playboy who falls for a small town female life guard while he's on summer vacation, it became very popular amongst college kids after someone hinted it might be connected to me and the truth about who the father of my kids really is, and they have been asking me the same question over and over again even after I've told them its just pure fiction.

"Okay, okay,  you win! You can buy me a drink!" I exclaimed nervously while keeping my voice down in order not to attract attention and he leans towards me sightly with a devilish smile before saying.

"Sorry i didn't catch that, could you say it a little bit louder?" I glared at him without saying anything as he glance towards their direction again and my heart slammed in my ribcage.

"I said you can buy me a damn drink, jeez! Are you deaf or something?" He laughs quietly as i roll my eyes annoyed by his arrogance before he says.

"Oh...i heard you the first time, just wanted to hear you say it again." He turned and nods to another bartender since my brother had left us to attend to other people as he request for a beer and tells him to refill whatever I'm having and i roll my eyes at him as the bartender walked away before saying.

"You just won a useless bet because i don't drink, I'm having water" He looks at me for a moment as he turned pale as if the truth about what he'd almost done just occurred to him as he says.

"I'm very sorry i used them against you, that was selfish of me and I'm ashamed of myself. But i was desperate for your attention and it seemed like the best option at the time. Believe it or not, i wasn't gonna do it really" I'm taken aback by his confession as i asked.

"Really" He laughs nervously while scratching the back of his neck before saying. "Yeah, i already told you i was desperate but i wouldn't do that to you. Your brother will have my head" I don't know what to say after hearing his words, funny thing is...i actually believe him.

(Present)
And just like that, i took a large gulp of his beer. And one gulp became two and two turned into five and after fifth the gulp i was ordering for my own bottle. I can't honestly say that i  remember what happened after that expect the part where my brother was tucking me in bed and the rest is just clouded. (Sighs,rubs temple) Hope i didn't do anything embarrassing enough for someone to take photos last night? I will ask Jules about it later.

I can only imagine what the media will say about me if something like that happens. Probably something like 'Bestselling Author of the year and a single mother of two gets wasted in a bar at night, who's home with the kids?' The thought of it alone increases the hangover more than before and i winced with both hands on my head.

There's a small tap on my bathroom door when i finished brushing my teeth as i spot my other child poking her head filled with blond curls into the bathroom before asking.

"Mummy? AJ told me what happened, are you okay?" A smile broke on my face by her tender words as i took her smaller hands into mine while kissing them gently before saying.

"Good morning sweetie" Kissing her blond curls as she replied. "Good morning mummy, did you sleep well?"

"Yes i did dear, and I'll be fine baby...thanks for asking. How's the stomachache, do you feel any better?" She giggles as i poke her stomach before saying.

"Its all good now, i must've caught something in the air like you said" I kissed her soft baby cheeks that aren't so cubby anymore and i couldn't help but marvel at how fast my babies were growing.

While AJ is more reserved with an aura of maturity beyond his years, Kceey is more outgoing and easy to get along with. She is truly the peace maker in our little group.

"Mummy have you showered yet? Her beautiful voice interrupted my thoughts as i mess with her blond curls before saying.

"Yes baby, i showered first" Taking in my daughter's appearance i sigh blissfully thinking about how it seems like just yesterday when i was twenty years old sitting in the hospital bed while i was being handed a freshly set of twin for the first time. I remember being afraid if holding their ting little frame, i thought i would hurt them just by touching them and that scared me.

Looking at how they have grown and how happy they make me, i asked myself how did i get so lucky? A light flick on my nose brought me out of memory lane as my daughter smiles before saying.

"Stop thinking about how much we have grown and go fix your hair, while i lay out some PJs for you" I laughed as she goes back into my room to get my PJs ready, she can be very bossy when wants to be.

That remained me of last night's event when he declared that we were on a date. (Shakes head) What bad timing i thought. I said the same thing the eve i found out i was pregnant nine years ago after I'd just had my heart broken one week prior by my highschool sweetheart,  whom i went to college with. We were gonna get married after he inherits his family gas station that year, only for him to decide that i wasn't good enough for him and called off our engagement.

I remember crying the whole week refusing to eat or leave my room, just sleeping all day when i wasn't crying of course. Then a week later i found out i was pregnant and i thought my life was over. I was terrified and lost, i didn't know what to do with my life at that point.

I thought that was the end for me until my dad held my ferial hands in his one night while kissing them tenderly and said to me. "The universe has a way of bringing you exactly what you need at the exact time you need it in your life, so wipe your tears baby girl because i don't believe for a second that, this is the end for you" As i watched my dad walked out of my room that night after saying those words, i felt renewed and determined about one thing and that was doing whatever it takes to care for my child.

In that exact moment of peace, i placed my hands on my growing belly and said out loud. "Whatever this world throws at me will not affect you baby. I'm placing all my chest pieces on the board, from now till the end its my move" (Chuckles) Nine months later, they were two of them and i still made the same promise to both of them.

My kids means the world to me, we've gotten through so much together and we've always come out stronger than ever. I'm grateful for what i have and i don't need anything else. My traitorous mind chose that moment to remind me about the detective as i said out loud. "The universe better be kidding"