School

• Dedicated to finland from School

        "Well, Lily, are you ready for school," John says as he reads the newspaper. I have awoken this morning a sweaty mess. But this is not, it will not, scare me. I already know the curriculum so the teachers won't be a problem. It's the other kids. I know almost nothing of what they might like or how I should act around them. I'll just wing it, I suppose. 

        For this particular day, I decide to wear jeans and some blue sneakers with green laces. Blue is my favorite color, afterall. I also have a t-shirt that has an otter on it. Otters are my favorite animal and it was very nice of John and hamish to go out shopping with me to get some suitable clothes that fit. John hands me my backpack and Hamish comes out of his room with jeans and red shoes with a hedgehog on his shirt. I take my backpack and Hamish takes his. I hug John and wave at Sherlock. John hugs me and smiles. Sherlock nods in my direction and begins to crack down on a new case with John looking over his shoulder.

        Hamish begins to offer advice as we head down the stairs. "You won't be alone all of the time. I have all of your classes except your elective. You chose orchestra. I have art. We'll be across the hall from each other." I nod to all of this and take a deep breath. Hamish puts his arm on my shoulder as we walk down the street. "It'll be just fine. Oh look! There's my friend, Finny!" Hamish waves to a girl who runs towards Hamish with a wide grin. She has dirty blonde hair that comes to about her shoulders. She has a long sleeve shirt that's solid green. Obviously Finny is a nickname. Her real name is probably Fiona. She has a cat and a dog and she loves them dearly. Her father and mother are still together and happily married. Finny has two siblings; older brothers. I stop there and shake my head as she runs up and and begins talking to Hamish. 

        "Hamish, is this the one you've been talking about?" Finny smiles at me. "Uhm...hi. I'm Finland but call me Finny. Please don't make fun of my name..." So I was wrong. Still a nice name to fit a nice girl. She's shy and probably opens up more when she knows you better. There's something in the way Hamish looks at her. There look at each other and I can see both of their pupils expand when they look at each other. I think there could be more to this relationship later. They're still friends though. 

        As we reach the school, everything becomes a blur. Countless people zoom past me to get to the classes they need. Finny waves Hamish goodbye and runs down the hall to a class. Hamish guides me to a locker and says this one is mine. It's locker 987. Hamish hands me a slip of paper with a combination but I can tell what it is without it and open the locker with ease. Hamish rolls his eyes and puts the combination in my locker anyway. Hamish tells me what I need and I put everything else in my locker. Hamish runs to his locker and I notice a group of girls whispering across the hall and shooting glances at me. I begin to get nervous and run through the crowd to find Hamish. 

        We bump into each other and Hamish leads me towards a door. "This is Science class. You'll probably like it here. We're in the middle of learning the periodic table." Oh, I already memorized the entire table. I used to sneak out of the house and go to the library. I read all about it. Still, you never know. The teacher is a tall man who is sitting behind a desk reading a textbook. He looks up and sees me. 

        "Ah, this must be Lilian Kirkland. Come, come sit wherever you wish." He gestures towards the desks. A couple people look up and at me and I pick my seat next to Hamish's. Hamish shows me what page they're on and what questions we need to answer. I answer them all with ease and Hamish does as well. He grins at me and we both get up and hand our assignment in to the teacher. He looks up at Hamish and smiles and takes his sheet. "Very quick Hamish. As usual." then he notices me standing there. "Oh you're done too, Lilian?" I smile and hand him the sheet and sit at my desk as the last of the students file in as the bell rings. Along with teh group of girls that were whispering. I tense up but remain composed. They all sit in desks behind me. The teacher call me up.