3: Iris

Time Skip - Opening Night of Hamilton, August 6 2015

Here I sit with most of the kids of the Sunshine Theatre Program, it was rebranded to that a couple months ago. We're waiting for the last students to arrive before we make our way to the Richard Rogers theatre. I'm currently sat on the steps that lead to the stage as adult volunteers line up the kids and take attendance. I truly can't believe that I was able to make this work out for my students, they mean the absolute world to me. I don't know who or what I would be without them.

The entire reason we're heading to the theatre in the first place is all because of the events that took place from that fateful meeting with Mr. Miranda. You see, after our first meeting, I didn't see him for a couple months. I was far more motivated with the Sunshine Theatre though, and I was able to show them some of Lin's work, and it brought me joy to see someone that has made such a difference in my life also be impacting these kids that I care so much about.

Around the time Hamilton started rehearsing at Richard Rogers Theatre was when I saw him again. We ended up taking the same bus home, so we were able to catch up on the time that we had spent apart. He told me some stories from rehearsal as I told him what I had done that day with my kids. When it got closer to the start of Hamilton's Broadway run, he said that he was unable to free up space for previews but that he would have seats on opening night for myself, supervisors and all of the students at Sunshine. After a week straight of attempting to convince him that we didn't need nor deserve them, I finally gave in, and here we are right now.

We load up the busses that Lin ever so kindly paid for us to take, and are well on our way. The entire ride, the kids are ranting to each other about how absolutely excited they are, and the smile just can't seem to leave my face.

As we step off the bus, the adults and kids make their way to where they will soon be let into Richard Rodgers. I look down at my phone to see a text from Lin, even better. It said;

When you get here, feel free to head to the stage door! Just give them your name and I'll meet you inside.

I shoot back a quick '👍' and wave my kids along,
"Enjoy the show you guys!"

A chorus of 'Thank you's erupt as I smile at their excitement, and I head towards the stage door.

When I get there, I push past a small crowd and hear muttered complaints as I do, but I ignore them as I stand in front of the security guard. Him being very tall, I have to look up quite a ways to meet his eyes.

"What's your name?" He asks.

"Iris, Lin said he would be waiting for me?"
He does a quick once over and steps to the side, opening the door to where Lin should be waiting on the other side. I take a deep breath to calm myself, and nod my thanks to him before stepping inside.

It's seems quiet as I first walk inside, but I can faintly hear the sound of music and laughter in the distance. Starting to feel out of place just standing there, I soon see Lin walking towards me wearing most of his costume.

His eyes light up as he sees me, and I'm sure mine do the same. "Iris!" He says with excitement as he pulls me in for a quick hug. Man, his hugs are so comforting. Any nervousness I had slowly starts to dissipate as I greet him back, and he lightly pushes me in the direction he just came from.

"God," he starts. "I cannot tell you how excited I am for you to be here. Well, everyone is excited, but I'm the most excited." He's nearly jumping up and down with excitement, as am I, but there's still a sense of disbelief lingering in the back of my mind.

"Speaking of everyone, where is the rest of the cast? I haven't done much research on who they all are because I wanted to be as blown away as possible while I watched, but it would be cool to meet them!" I say.