7. "Your voice is beautiful"

"Are you sure about this, Hero?" Jordan asked me.

We've been working at the hearing aids all night. When I realized we haven't included a microphone, I felt like the stupidest person alive.

I looked outside the hotel window realizing the sun had already come out. But the adrenaline was rushing. Even though I had stayed up all night working I didn't want to sleep.

I just wanted to hear.

I took the tiny devices in my hands and put them in my ears gently. Then I sat on the bed.

"Okay, are you ready. I'm going to activate them now" Jordan signed holding the controller.

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and nodded my head.

It's time.

I'm going to hear.

I waited. I waited for any sound. I waited for Jordan's voice. I waited for what felt like centuries.

And then something light hit my ears. It was from outside and it sounded like what imagine bird's chirpring would sound?

With my eyes still closed I said. "Please tell me you can hear birds chriping outside and I'm not just imagining things" 

Woah! Wait a minute was that my voice?

"You can hear the birds?" 

Woah! This was another voice. Jordan's.

I opened my eyes slowly and looked at Jordan.

"I heard you" I told him slowly. 

"You... You heard me? What did I say?" he was trembling and so was I.

"I heard you again!" I stood up from my seat. "You asked if I could hear the birds. I can hear them!" I looked outside. "And I can hear you! And my voice"

Jordan laughed. "You can hear!" his mouth was agape in happiness. "Bro, I'm going to cry"

"Oh, God!" Sounds from around me started filling me. Car horns, the birds, even the small tap Jordan's nails were leaving at the metal table.

"What the fuck!" I cursed out loud. Then I cleared my throat. "Also, did my voice always sound like that?" I cringed at myself. I definitely couldn't pronounce everything right. 

But who fucking cares! I can hear!

I looked at Jordan. He had his head burried in his hands. He was crying.

I could fucking hear his sobs.

"Bro, I can hear" I said again. I couldn't believe it. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and then threw himself on me crying. 

"I can't believe this. After all of our hard work! Finally" I hugged him back. 

"I need to call my mom" I said and took my phone. I dialed her number. She was probably going to be so confused because I never called, always texted.

"Why is this kid calling me?" was the first thing I heard. 

My mom's voice. If I wasn't crying before, now I was definitely crying.

"Is anyone there? Why do you have Hero's phone?"

"Mom?" I said my voice was trembling. "It's Hero. I can... I can hear you"

"Is this a prank?" she said but I could identify the shock in her voice. God, I could understand people's emotions by their voice. Because I could fucking hear their voices.

"No, mom. We did it. We figured it out. I can hear" 

She immediately started crying. This all felt so unreal. When I hung up I immediately looked at Jordan who was still sobbing.

"Pinch me" I begged him. "It's a dream isn't it?"

He shook his head, a smile on his face. "This is all real, Hero. You did it"

I hugged him. "We did it!"

"You need to tell Jo!" Jordan suddenly yelled.

Jo...

How did I forget about that?

Oh my God, she's gonna kill me for kissing her yesterday as well.

I was in the flower shop half an hour later. When I went in she was behind the counter handing flowers to a customer. The guy left and then stood Jo alone.

I smiled at her but she just rolled her eyes. I saw her writing something down.

I went closer to her. "Are you not gonna say anything to me?"

Then she handed me the piece of paper.

"You are a jerk for kissing me. I'm not talking to you"

I looked at her with my mouth slightly open. "You're right. I shouldn't have kissed you. It was dumb from my part"

She wrote down something else with more anger.

"And you even stormed off after without even explaining. You are not that kind of guy"

"I'm sorry but I can explain"

She crossed her arms like she was waiting for me to explain.

"You were right. I found it?"

She gave me a questioning look.

Then I leaned closer and showed her the earbads in my ears. "I can hear" I whispered.

Her jaw slowly dropped.

"Can you... can you hear me right now?" she whispered like she was afraid to use her voice.

Oh God. Oh my God.

"Jo..." I trailed like I was pleading her to talk more.

"You can actually hear me" she said a little bit louder.

Oh my fuck! Her fucking voice. I seriously closed my eyes like I was trying to devour every single sound. Her voice was low but high at the same time. It was raspy at the right places and 'girly' all at once.

I looked at her like I was in pain. "Your voice is beautiful" 

She jumped off the counter and fell into my arms as she started sobbing.

Okay, Jo sobbing wasn't one of the good sounds.

"Please don't cry" I said holding her against my chest. The truth is I wanted to cry too.

"Hero" she said looking at me. She grabbed my hair, caressed my cheeks and then my ears in adoration. "I told you, didn't I?" she laughed.

Holy fuck, kill me now I heard everything.

 Her voice was beautiful but her laugh was something else. 

I took a deep breath and connected my forehead to hers. "Please laugh again" I begged. I was almost on my fucking knees.

She giggled at my words and I devoured every single note.

"Again"

"Make me laugh, dumbass" she said but laughed anyway.

My nose rubbed against hers. "You are killing me right now" I whispered.

"I can't believe you can finally hear. It's just feels unreal. You are so..." she trailed caressing my cheeks again and I still couldn't believe this beautiful sound was her voice.

"I kept my promise. Now you have to keep yours and ramble to me until I wish I couldn't hear again" 

She laughed so hard she threw her head back and I bit my lip not being able to comprehend that amazing sound coming from her mouth.

"You don't want that" she smiled.

"I want you" I said without even thinking about it.

She stared at me and I stared back. My brain didn't even realize what was happening until I felt her press her lips against mine.