C~1: Soon, Another Escape

I should start thinking about how I'm gonna escape.

Of course this time it's a little different than all the others in the seventeen years I've been on this earth.

They thought smarter this time, sending me to a place where there aren't so many road signs or roads, miles of forest, and a fair drive from the airport.

I knew I would be staying a little longer then I would in one place. I can't have the school kick me out again, I want those grades, for this, I just need the family to not like me simple enough. I play with the strings to my earbuds between my fingers as I sat in Sea-Tac Airport while my chaperone grabbed my bags for me.

Seattle was already 99-miles away from Forks, but it gets complicated when you add in the miles to Sea-Tac the closest airport. In all, that's a 144-mile journey. I've been lucky to say all my other homes have been a lot closer to an airport.

I only need to do this for this year, my junior year, and senior year, then I'm free to go and do what I want without being pushed from one place to the next. 

"Evangeline?"

Looking up at my chaperone I see the stern woman whose hair was beginning to grey, kinda looked like a fairytale villain, evil step-mother maybe. I look down and see she has my backpack in one hand and my guitar case in another.

I stand and sling the bag over my shoulder and take the case. Evil stepmom leads the way through the airport talking about how grateful I should be that there was still one last family willing to take me.

As if I care, within a month or two I'll be gone. People were walking back and forth and all around as we went down the stairs towards the pool of people who held signs. Evil stepmom was taking me towards a boy who held one of these signs.

He looked fifteen and had long black hair pulled back. His eyes were dark and his face strong. His sign held one word, Black, the evil-looking woman looks at the boy and pulls out a couple of papers and a clipboard from her bag "I can't believe there was another family out there willing to take this one. Mr. Black send your thanks to your father for me for getting her off my hands." she says as the boy signs and she takes the board back.

"If I were you I would blindfold her until you get home, she tends...to take note of the quickest way to the airport," she says shoving me forward a little and leaving with that. The boy and I stand awkwardly before he holds out a hand.

"Hey, I'm Jacob Black...your new brother I guess. It's very nice to meet you, Evangeline." he starts. I look from his hand to his eyes and sigh shaking his hand "Eva, Eve, or E. I prefer the last one. Let's make this easy for all of us, I don't have to be annoying for the next couple of months. You just have to promise when the evaluation comes you say you don't want me, and I'll say I don't want you. Or you can buy me a plane ticket and save the next couple of months." I explain.

Jacob shakes his head and begins to walk out the door "They said you would hard, nothing we can't fix." he says. We? I bite my lip and follow him out of curiosity, he leads me to the parking lot and into a red truck, a little rusted but better than anything.

Sitting on the passenger side I put my bag in the back and put my guitar case on my lap. Jacob looks to it before starting the car and getting out on the road "You play?" he asks. I keep my eyes on my surroundings hoping to take it all in to remember "Um yeah."

"Awesome!" he exclaims, I look over a little uncomfortable, he looks back to me stammering "Bonfires's kinda quite believe it or not," he states laughing at his own joke, I nod pretending like I understood.

It's just another outdoorsy family.

As we sit in silence for a while, I see the bustling city turn to deep, deep woods. I gulp feeling a little confined.

"Claustrophobic?" asks Jacob.

"Um no, I've just spent a while in open area, it's been a long time since I've been given to a family who lives deep in a forest."

"Well you don't have to worry, the Rez is very open."

Rez? I turn to him "Like reservation?"

"La Push Reservation. La Push is the beach, but the reservation is for the Quileute Tribe."

"Tribe? I'm being fostered by a tribe?"

"If you think we live in tents that a whole other conversation," he says laughing at the end. I shake my head "I never said that. It's just new? Honestly is sounds kinda cool." I admit trying to lighten the mood.

Jacob smiles at me "Oh really?"

"Well, people are always telling me you should find a good family. It's overplayed, but you replace family with tribe then it sounds cool!" I assert. Jacob laughs at this "Glad you enjoy, you're the first paleface ever to be let into the tribe."

"But you don't even know me?"

"Dad said there was something about you? Drew him in?" starts Jacob, I look down realizing what his dad was talking about "My birthmark." I state and raise a hand to my left cheek. This mark went a little bit under my jawline and went up on my cheek making a circle coming down on even the corner of my lip tinting it lighter than the color it should be.

"Or the white hair." states Jacob, I look to him "I get it, I'm an albino!"

"But it's only your hair, your eyebrows and eyelashes are just fine-"

"I don't want to talk about it!" I declare quickly looking to him. I felt bad a little for shutting him up, but it didn't matter as we drive upon an open area with multiple buildings or houses perse. Jacob stops the truck as we roll onto the gravel path.

We both get out of the car and I grab my bag from the back. Jacob walks in front of the car smiling "Hey guys! I'm back!"

As if on cue the front door opens and a man in a wheelchair rolls down the ramp towards us. He smiles at me as Jacob goes to stand behind him. The man beams at me a pearl of wisdom in his eyes and kindness in his smile. 

"Evangeline, it is so wonderful to have you here and to be apart of our family," he says. Jacob leans down a knowing smile "Watch out she's not too big on families."

The two males laugh and the man holds out his hand to me which I shake "My name's Billy Black, I'm the one who sent in the papers and arranged for all of this...In due time you may come to call me dad and Jacob brother."

So this was Jacob's dad, I nod "Thank you sir, but I'll be gone, no disrespect, before that really happens. Sorry."

Billy smiles nodding "It's alright, I understand, new place, new people, you have your first day of school tomorrow-"

"Tomorrow? School?" I start, Billy nods "We would have you go to the school on the Rez, but we think it's good to meet the kids of Forks. Don't worry you're not the only new girl a couple of days ago the Chief's daughter just started her first day, Bella Swan."

Okay, I won't be the only one, it seemed like her dad and Billy were good friends from the smile when he said it. Billy shows me inside and shows me to my room, it's cozy not that big or too small, right size for me.

The bed was by the window and above it a skylight. A desk sat across from it and there was a closet and another door leading to my own bathroom. I place my guitar case on the bed "Years of moving homes and I finally get my own bathroom." I say making Billy laugh, he sees the guitar and smirks "Jacob told me you play, when you feel ready you should come to one of the bonfires and meet everyone. Oh, and you have a license, right?"

I nod sitting on the bed "Yeah, adoptive care made sure I'd get it back in this state." I say slowly trying not to freak him out, he nods in what looked like understanding "You may not see it, but you can stop running." 

"Running? What am I running from?"

Billy shrugs and rolls out of the room. The first big hurdle was jumped, the next would be my first day at a new school.

Tomorrow's gonna be hell.