🎀Twenty-Three🎀

Love takes off masks that we fear we can not live without and know we can not live within.

- James Baldwin -

____________________________

🌼||Adam||🌼

I missed her.

Seeing her happy and getting along with my mother, made me happy. My mother was very precious to me and I was glad to see that she liked Kate.

That was why I had to do something to make my mother smile every day. And if it included Kate, I had to make her mine. But how?

I had to find a way.

A way to get separated from Gladys as soon as possible. Come to think of it, Gladys and I were not the perfect couple everyone saw us to be. They did not know what would happen behind closed doors or when the sun would set.

Ever since she met Kate, things became been rough. She always blamed me for her unhappiness like I was even aware of that. When I tried to ask how, she would start screaming at me and throwing things.

It had gotten worse after she discharged from the hospital in a wheelchair.

For weeks now, the guest room was my refuge.

Yesterday was one of those days. But something was different this time. She was violent, more furious. It was like she wanted to kill me. And as always, I went to the guest room and spent the night there.

I was sitting in the living room, working from home, when Gladys appeared in front of me in her wheelchair.

"I want to work so, spare me what you are going to throw at me this time."

"I'm not here to argue, these papers came for you to be signed." She said handing them to me and I placed them besides me as I focused again on my laptop.

"Aren't you going to sign them?"

"I will after I read them." She was about to respond but she was interrupted by her phone. She whirled the wheelchair quickly and left the room to answer her phone. That got my attention.

I followed her quietly, curious of who called her.

"Yes, I gave him the papers and I am trying to make him to sign them without noticing anything. I told you it will take time. So, your part is done. Finally, Steve, I can't believe that we are reaching our goal! Sure, I will call you when it's done and we will meet at the usual place."

What the heck is going on? What are they talking about, am I being played with?

She hung up and when she turned, she saw me. Her eyes bulged out with shock.

"Adam! Did you..."

"Care to enlighten me about what that was all about?"

"Nothing important, just someone I was talking with." She was looking everywhere except where I was, which confirmed my suspicions. She was hiding something.

And the only thing which had answers to my questions, were those papers. I went back and picked them up. She came trying to snatch them but I reacted quickly and put them out of her reach.

Defeated, she became furious and started her daily routine of throwing things at me, screaming. I made my escape to the study and locked the door.

I sat down on my sofa and opened them.

I immediately realized the grave mistake I was going to make by signing them without seeing them. I was glad that I had learnt to read before signing.

The woman was going collect all my money as soon as I was dead, which I was sure she would have taken care for after I signed them.

A deal she had with Steve, of course. But was Kate aware of this? I had to call her. I had to take her out of that place before they did something bad to her.

I took my phone out from my sweatpants' pocket and dialed her phone. She answered on the third ring.

"Kate."

"Hi, how are things on that side?" She said, her voice held many emotions and I recognized one of them as hurt.

Was she aware?

"Why? What's wrong on that side?"

"Things got complicated. I don't know how he found out, but Steve is aware of our relationship and he has forbidden me to go out of the house."

"But he has no right to do that after..." I caught myself before I scared her.

"After what Adam, what else did he do?"

"We have to meet as soon as possible and I will tell you everything you want to know but you have to hurry, time is running out."

"You are scaring me, Adam, what is wrong? What will happen if he finds out? I don't want to make him angry anymore. Who knows what will happen when he returns."

This was what I did not want. To scare her more than she was. Though she did not want to tell me, I knew Steve was hurting her and I intended to know what he did to her before I dealt with him.

"Trust me, when you know what he has been doing behind your back, you will be glad that you left. Meet me at the cabin as soon as possible and I will answer all your questions."

She considered it for a moment before saying, "Fine. I'm leaving I will meet you then."

I got out of the study, grabbed my car keys and went out. I did not see Gladys anywhere. I think she went to her room to call Steve about their failed plan.

I got into the car and drove off to the cabin, where my life was going to start afresh.

==============

Happy reads to all!!

I hope you are having a great time and lovely day.

Now this is a double update I will tell you everything in the next chapter.

But you should know that Nathan and Allie's story (REDO) will start on the 20th, July!! So, save date and you can go now to drop your username and book because I will be doing shout outs.

Love you 🧡

Marty.