one | backup goalie

𝐤𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐲
-

    I WAS AWOKEN FROM A DEEP SLUMBER BY THE SOUND OF A ROARING LAWNMOWER. As crazy as it must sound, I was unbothered by the noise. The sound of the lawnmower made me know that it was summer, and that it indicated that the day itself was going to be pleasant.

   I was ecstatic that it was summer. Though fall was around the corner with school starting in less than a month, I was going to soak up the bright burning sun as much as I could. The season was now, and if the earth had been blessed with rain, that meant one thing. The grass needed trimmed.

    I found myself pushing the thin light blue blanket that once covered me, off of my body. The room was warm, but that was due to the fact my window was open. A content smile formed on my face. I knew this was going to be a great day.

   I made my way over to the window where I could feel a light breeze coming in. The white transparent curtains with small roses stitches on them flew back with the wind. I took a seat at the stool I kept right below the window seal. I placed my elbow on the ledge, resting my chin on the palm of my hand while gazing in front of me at the beautiful back yard that belonged to my home.

   The workers my father had hired to keep the lawn look spectacular were already at work. Of course I assumed it was the afternoon. During summer days I didn't wake up until late. My smile slightly grew. I definitely knew this was going to be a pleasant day.

   Moment later, I found myself all dressed for the day, leaping down the stairs with happiness. I wore a pair of light washed ripped jeans that were held up by an old leather belt I needed to replace. I also wore a cropped white tank top to keep me cool from the heat outside. My hair was up into a ponytail keeping my long brown hair off of my neck. I felt good today.

   Once I made it downstairs and into the large combined kitchen and living room, I saw Rick and Konnor playing video games on the large tv. I knew that if I tried talking to them, they would just ignore me. They were sort of in their own little world when it came to video games.

I headed straight to the refrigerator, pulling out the large pitcher of lemonade. I turned back to my brothers as I dug glasses out from the cupboard underneath the island. I set them on top of the counter causing the glasses to clink together which finally grabbed my brother attention. The boy turned around in the couch, setting their controllers on the end tables and taking their head sets off.

   "Good morning," I greeted them with a smile on my face. I started to pour lemonade into the glasses one by one, careful not to make a mess.

   "Kate, its almost one," Konnor told me. I shrugged my shoulders.

   "Exactly, morning," I responded. Both boys scoffed. The got up from where they sat and headed over to the counter in front of me. They were about to grab a glass of poured lemonade but I slapped their hands away. "No, stop! Get your own. These are for the nice fellows outside working in the heat," I scolded the two. They scoffed once more.

   "Whatever," Rick spoke. He walked around the island and over to me. He opened the cupboard door which hit my leg. I jumped to the side once I winced in pain after the corner of the door hit my leg. "I thought I hit you in the leg, not the neck," the boy spoke placing the glasses on the counter. I gazed at him confused. I placed my hand on my hip and leaned against the counter.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned. He smirked.

"That mark on your neck. Or was it someone from last nights party that hit you in the neck with the door," he cockily told me. I felt my eyes widen. I quickly covered my neck with my hand.

"Relax, just put your hair down and you won't be able to see it," Konnor said. I sighed yet thanked him. I had no idea where my dad was, but if he saw, I would've been dead. He caught me plenty of times before but I knew he'd break soon. I sort of felt bad.

I brought my hand up to the scrunchie holding my hair in place. I tore it out and let my hair fall down my back. I made sure my neck was covered before turning back to my brothers.

"Who was it this time?" Rick asked. I sighed once more.

"Goalie," I softly answered. He seemed to be shocked.

"Innocent Scooter?" He asked me. I hurriedly shook my head at the surprised boy.

"No, no, Coen, backup goalie," I tiredly said. Coen, he was amazingly cute and very attractive, but he didn't want to settle for a relationship. I guess neither was I. I had the biggest crush on Coen, though he was a junior. He was over here all the time with my brother, he was always hanging around me, and we were, well, always making out. How could I not like him? Too bad he didn't share the feelings.

   "Coen?" Rick asked with the same shocked tone. I nodded my head. "Last week it was bender Kaleb, now it's Coen, again."

   I threw my arms up in defense, "he came onto me, I'm sorry!"

   I hadn't even realized the workers had entered the sliding doors in the kitchen until I heard the door shut. It's not like they didn't know anyways. They'd catch my dad and I or my brothers and I arguing about it all the time. I quickly straightened myself out and smiled at them all.

   "Good afternoon," I spit out, "I've got your fresh glasses of lemonade like usual. Feel free to go sit down and watch tv and enjoy your cold drink," I sweetly said to them. The boys sent me a smile, one by one grabbing their glasses.

   The last boy stopped at the counter. He had blond shaggy hair, bright blue eyes, and deep dimples that stuck out anytime he made movement with his face. I knew who he was. Guy Germaine, 14 years old. He was my age, and I believed he lived in Saint Paul. However, I didn't know much about him. We were two completely different people.

   I returned the smile he sent me. He seemed sweet.

   "Thank you, again, Katherine. I really appreciate it," he softly told me. I tipped my head at him.

    "It's the least I can do, and please, call me Kate."

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞 !

hey y'all! that's chapter one! it's iffy, i might rewrite it, but I think it's sort of interest, you get to learn a little about Katherine and her brothers and her and her fathers relationship.
if you follow me on insta (bcnksie) you may have heard that I'm hardcore simping for rick right now. I mean, how could you not? I'm simping hardcore! if only he was still a senior in high school right now because I am too and that'd be great lmao.

anyways, enjoy!

much love

<3

-bri :)