Chapter Ten

Ben stared at a flyer posted inside and outside the front window of Made With Love. It was surreal to see it there, but also liberally scattered around town square. It had a picture of him when he was a puppy, chewing on a tennis ball.

MISSING DOG-- "Brown schnauzer terrier mix with brown eyes. 4 yrs old. Answers to Barkly. Reward: $200. Please call if found."

"I should have kept that dog when I had the chance," LB said to Ben. She was wiping down the counters after a long day. 

Ben didn't respond, instead he went back to work sweeping the floors. It was an hour until closing time, but there were only a few stragglers left.

Outside, Cindy came around the corner. She was on her way to the parlor, but stopped in to see Ben.

"Hey," she said solemnly. Before she could say anything else, someone banged on the glass window behind her.

"Cindy!" Mayor Naomi was dressed to the nines in a bright orange dress suit, a scarf around her neck with orange fruits printed on it. She opened the door, rushing in. "Ah, Cindy! I finally caught you!"

"Mayor Naomi... is everything okay?"

"No! Everything is a wreck! The high school band all have mono, Bill from Bill's Bowling Emporium broke his leg so he can't finish the commencement stage, a horse got loose and we can't find the damn thing and Tanya's Psychic Den pulled out at the last moment. Cindy! I need you!" Everything was over the top and dramatic. Naomi was obviously flustered.

"Need me for what?!"

"Stars Fall's 15th Annual Chili Cook-Off Bonanza! Can I count on you to bring a big batch of chili? I have to fill this booth and Half-Moon Tattoo Parlor is the only business that hasn't turned me down. You have to! Please, please, please?!"

"I don't know how to cook chili?!"

"Just say yes, Cindy, or she'll never leave," LB shouted from the back kitchen.

"I can still count on you and Patrick, right?" Naomi shouted.

"Yes, ma'am. One whopping vat of vegetarian chili!" LB called back.

"Oh Lord," Naomi muttered. Her eyes looked back to Cindy. "Please, Cindy. You have to. You owe me after you ditched me for the Bridge Donation Drive."

"It's literally a bridge to nowhere! You built a bridge that goes nowhere! The road is a dead-end!"

"It would be excellent publicity for the parlor, the whole town will be there. And, there's a $5,000 cash prize."

"Fine," Cindy muttered, crossing her arms. "Tomorrow, right?"

"Yes! Thank you! Thank you!" Naomi rushed out the door, leaving as fast as she had entered.

"Why don't you ask Matteo for help at the diner? He's closing tonight." LB came out in a huff, flour on her face and hands.

"Maybe I'll do that... Hey, can I borrow Ben for a minute?" 

Cindy pulled Ben outside. The street was dark, illuminated by yellow-orange street lamps save for up the road where all the street lamps had been uprooted by tentacles.

"Ben, we need to talk about what happened yesterday." Her voice was serious and low.

"I'm game for a repeat." Ben gave a big grin, thumbing the handle of his broom.

"No, I mean..." She motioned down the street. "What happened... like how you were able to kill a giant land squid monster? Why was there a land squid monster? And. What. Are. You?"