DISCLAIMER

I want to start this guide by saying that all I want to do is analyse the craft and technique of modern-day and past-days writers. Following all of the #Blacklivesmatter protests I am aware that many writers in both the present and past stood and stand by racist and defamatory ideas.

I AM NOT PROMOTING ANY OF THEM.

I am just interested in learning the craft of writing, despite of the beliefs one stands by. I support all kind of diversity and try my best to do the right thing. However, I am human and am trying like all of you to do my best in this life. 

I am absolutely not trying to attribute my responsibilities. I am wishing to celebrate the art and craft of writing in spite of personal believes. 

This might seem a lame statement, however, I think that especially when it comes to writers that are already dead, it's easier to separate the art from the believes. If someone is no longer living, buying their books is no longer directly profiting them. This makes people, including me, feeling better about liking something that comes from a defamatory mental space. 

On the other hand, when it comes to living authors that demonstrate to stand by defamatory ideas it is a lot harder to decide what to do. I will provide an example to make you understand what I mean: If someone is at the top of its fame and comes out with defamatory statement, how can you take back all the love and support you showed to the author in the first place?

You can't.

As cruel as it may seem, you are both unable to take back support, and a well written work can't become crap just because you don't support someone's believes. This is why I feel it's necessary to differentiate the work and the author. We have to do our best to recognize art and praise it, distancing it from who wrote it and their believes. But even though you have not the ability to take back your love and support, you can impact the author in the future. if you don't stand up for their believes, don't buy their books and stop supporting them. You don't have to act as they act discriminating the author. You can act better, avoiding to support them any longer.

I really hope that this disclaimer makes you understand that I do not wish to discriminate anyone for any reason, I just wish to learn the craft. I wish to become someone that thanks to writing can make other think, helping them to get through their lives. I wish to change the world, and I want to learn how to do so.