Chapter Thirty-Three

Tires squeal across concrete as Connie slams on the brakes.

She races up the porch steps and pushes through the door into Cove Manor.

Jonathan rounds the corner from the kitchen. 

A wave of emotion spills from her and onto him as he wraps her in his arms. 

"She's somewhere on the island, Jonathan. Has anyone heard from her?"

Jonathan shakes his head. "I'm sorry, Connie. I was hoping for better news."

"Where's Charlie?"

"He's with Cay and Drew. They've looked everywhere - the beach, the art room -- and nothing."

Connie lets out a defeated sigh. She stares at the floor and bites her lower lip.

"Henry called about half an hour ago."

Connie's eyes widen. "What'd he say?"

"He hasn't heard from Maggie or Eli, but he'll let us know if he does."

Connie runs her fingers through her hair. She paces like a caged animal. Her eyes dart back and forth. "They didn't just disappear into thin air. This is a small island. Someone had to have seen them!" Her throat swells with worry. She pulls her keys from her pocket and turns to walk out the door.

Jonathan spins her around to face him. "Wait. Where are you going?"

"To the beach. The cab she was spotted in is there. Maybe she left a clue."

"A clue? In a cab?"

Connie drops her arms by her side. "I know I'm grasping at straws, but I can't give up searching. I have to find her."

"I'll go with you."

Connie shakes her head and cups the side of his face with her hand. She doesn't want to drag Jonathan into this mess any further. Into her past. Into her regrets. Face to face with Joe. "Stay here, just in case she shows up, okay?"

He reaches out his hand and caresses her face. "Be careful," he whispers.

She gives a quick nod and heads out the door.

💙💙💙

The lower half of Joe's body is sticking out of the cab.

Connie pokes his back. "Find anything?"

He jolts up and hits his head on the steering wheel.

She points at his red, swollen knuckles. "What happened?"

He swats at the air. "Nothing important. Any news from the Manor?" he snorts.

Connie shakes her head, ignoring his blatant jab at Jonathan. She opens the door to the back seat and crawls inside, eyeing every nook and cranny for a clue.

Joe slips into the cab and continues his search underneath the seats. "The cab driver must be at least seven feet tall. Look at the gap between the driver's seat and the pedals." He lets out a laugh. "He practically drives from the trunk." He pulls the seat forward, allowing Connie more space to search.

She lets out a gasp and plucks something from the floor.

Joe peers over the seat at the picture she's holding in her hand. His eyes widen.

Connie shakes her head. "I don't understand. I thought Maggie's father left when he found out Mary was pregnant."

Joe stares at the picture. "With the way his arms are wrapped around her pregnant belly, it sure looks like he stuck around."

"Why did she lie? If he didn't leave - if he stayed with her, then where did he go? Where has he been all these years?" Connie looks up at Joe for an answer, but his attention is elsewhere now. She follows his gaze.

In the distance, dark clouds swirl around the lighthouse.

"Henry's lighthouse," Connie whispers, her thoughts swirling around as quick as the cloud. She tugs on Joe's arm. "She has to be there, Joe. She has to be."

Joe glances at the picture Connie is clutching in her hand. He gives a definitive nod. "Let's go get our girl."

They pile into his car and race into the darkness.

To the lighthouse.

To Maggie.

💙💙💙

lighthouse: https://co.pinterest.com/pin/423479171210567637/

tornado lightening: https://blog.travelexinsurance.com/travel-safety/five-tips-for-traveling-safely-during-tornado-season/

sea: https://santacruzfellowship.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/stormy-sea.jpg