First Period

We arrived at the bus stop in great timing. Hayden parked her pink bike and waited for me to get off the back pegs.

"Stay near me." she murmured to me. I didn't say anything but obeyed. She tied up her bike and stood close by me as we walked to the stop sign. Three prissy rich girls talked to each other with about five feet of distance from where Hayden and I stood. I held on to the stop sign and tried to ignore them. They laughed and glanced back at us.

"Who are they?" I whispered to Hayden.

"Shh, it doesn't matter. They aren't talking to us." she whispered back.

"But they're talking about us." I didn't want to look at them but I could feel their eyes.

"But not to us so ignore them." she replied and held her books tightly to her chest. I knew she felt subconscious about her bigger chest because it made her look more mature but she always got teased more her breast when she got in junior high. That's when her awkward stage kicked in. She had braces, a pizza face, glasses, big breast and butt, curves, thighs, and she felt like her body was outgrowing her. Everything went wrong. She used to come home crying because she said the girls were picking on her. She didn't tell my parents but she would talk to me.

I looked back at the girls and back at my sister. Her legs were quivering slightly from the unwanted attention.

"Do you feel okay about them girls?" I asked her. She didn't look up at me.

"You know they ain't all that. You see the blond? She looks like her she used cheese to brush her teeth." I joked. Hayden glanced up at her and giggled at my joke.

"And the other girl, she looks like she got a giant honey bun on her head and she has a gap in the middle of her teeth just like uncle space face." I smiled. She laughed again but a little louder. Her smile made me happy. We giggled to ourselves at the girls.

"Pickett." the blond called. We both looked up at them, no smile shined on our faces.

"Is that your sista?" she asked in one of them Jersey accents. Hayden nodded slowly.

"What's ha name?" she smiled at me. Her friends giggled to themselves. I gave them a stank face and they rolled their eyes and twirled their gum with their index fingers. It was disgusting to me.

"Why don't you ask her yourself, Jennifer?" Hayden retorted harshly. Jennifer looked over at me with a disgusted look.

"What's wrong with ha? She looks sick. Just tell me the girly's name." she chewed on her gum harshly. She was right I was feeling sick.

"Her name is Ashley." Hayden spoke my name proudly.

"What's wrong with ha? She ain't gonna puke is she?" she looked me up and down.

"Ashley?" Hayden looked at me with worry.

"I'm fine." I whispered to her. She touched my forehead to check for a fever. I knew it wasn't a fever. I felt queasy because of the confrontation. It's like stage fright, I didn't like a lot of attention from negative people.

"Stand up." she whispered to me.

"But they are..." I looked up at her stern face.

"We have to be brave." she declared. I found some type strength and turned toward the girl.

"I'm Ashley Pickett. I'm new to the high school. Hopefully we will learn to co-exist Ms.Jennifer. Hayden is my older sister and if you bother her again don't forget she has back up." I gave her a fake smile and turned back to Hayden who had a cocky grin on her face.