Chapter 1

“Mama Kana! Mama Kana!”
I heard the voice of the cute little boy calling me ‘Mama Kana.’ He’s the only one who calls me that nickname and it’s fine with me. I find it cute.

“Yes, Jacob? You need anything?” I smiled at the sweet boy standing in front of me. He’s Jacob Peterson, one of my students.

“Mama Kana, can you help me to tie my shoelace? Jacob can’t tie it properly,” Jacob said while pouting and giving me his adorable puppy eyes.

“Come here, baby. Mama Kana will help you.” I said while waving my hand as a sign for him to come near me.

“Jacob, where’s your Grandma? She’s kind of late now,” I asked him while tying his shoelace.

“I don’t know Mama Kana. Maybe she forgot that it’s time to go home now. Or Granny forgot about me,” Jacob said while pouting that I find very adorable.

“Maybe she’s just late. No one will forget about a cute little boy like you,” I said while smiling at him.

“Thank you, Mama Kana. I love you,” Jacob said while kissing my cheek as soon as I finished tying his shoelace.

“Mama Kana loves you too. We’ll call your Grandma, okay?” He just nodded while still hugging me. He’s very cute.

--Calling Mrs. Peterson--

“Good day, Ma’am. This is Jacob’s teacher. Is this Jacob’s Grandma?” I greeted her when she picked up the call.

“Good day, teacher. Yes, this is Jacob’s Grandma. I’m sorry, teacher. I’m busy and I lost track of time. I’ll go and fetch Jacob now. Sorry for bothering you, teacher.” Mrs. Peterson said with a hint of apology on her voice.

“It’s okay, Ma’am. If you’ll permit, I will bring Jacob to your home if you’re busy,” I said, offering help.

“No, teacher. We already bothered you too much.”

“It’s okay, Ma’am. Besides, my house is just minutes away from yours. I will bring Jacob with me.”

“Thank you, teacher. I’ll wait for you here.”

“You’re welcome, Ma’am. It’s my pleasure to help you and this cute little boy,” I said and hanged up the call.

“Jacob, baby, we’ll go home. I already called your Grandma and Mama Kana will bring you home. By the way, you want ice cream?”

“Really? Mama Kana will bring me home? Let’s go, Mama Kana. And yes, I want ice cream. Chocolate ice cream!” Jacob’s excitement is evident in his little voice.

“Chocolate ice cream it is. Come on,” I said and hold his hand.

Before going home, we stop at the nearest ice cream shop to buy his ice cream and finally go to his home.
I rang the doorbell and his Grandma showed up.

“Thank you, teacher. Sorry for bothering you,” his Grandma said.
“It’s okay, Ma’am. It’s not a big deal.”

“Do you have time, teacher? If it’s fine with you, you can stay for a while. I baked a cake. We can eat it with Jacob,” Jacob’s Grandma said with a smile.

“Is it okay?”

“Of course, it’s okay. Come in, teacher. Jacob, take your Mama Kana to the garden.”

“Mama Kana, let’s go.” Jacob holds my hand and leads the way to the garden.

~~~~~~~~~~

“How is Jacob in school, teacher?” Jacob’s Grandma asked while we’re eating the cake she baked and prepared for us.

“You can call me Kana, Ma’am. And Jacob is doing great. He’s very friendly and he always gets a high score. He’s a very smart student.”

“Okay, Kana. And you can call me Aunt. He always tells stories about how good you are to him. And he always addresses you as Mama Kana.” I blushed because I thought Jacob call me Mama Kana just in school after class.

“I think he likes me that much that he calls me Mama Kana,” I said while slightly blushing.

“Maybe because you’re very nice to him and he saw you as his mother figure because he doesn’t have a mom.” That made me curious.

“Aunt, if it’s okay with you, can I ask where’s his mom and dad? I only see you every time our class ends. It’s okay if you can’t answer.”

“No, it’s okay. Jacob is my son’s adopted child. He’s an orphan and my son saw him in an orphanage and he’s just a baby at that time. He decided to adopt Jacob. And now, he’s busy and he doesn’t have time to fetch Jacob to school.”

I just nodded my head while smiling at her. That’s why Jacob never talked about his mother. Because he doesn’t have one.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Jacob, your Mama Kana is going home,” Aunt called Jacob and Jacob came in our direction.

“You’re going, Mama Kana?” He said while hugging me. I kneeled for us to have the same level.

“Yes, Mama Kana is leaving. Take care, okay? See you on monday,” I said while ruffling his hair.

“Take care, too. I love you, Mama Kana.” I smiled at his sweetness and said ‘I love you, too’ before heading to my car and waving goodbye at them.
What a good day.