CHAPTER FIVE: THE ILLUMINATION

Present day, 

I looked around me. It was dry, sandy and hot all around. A long six hour flight added to the fatigue along with the jet lag. We drove directly to the site from the airport. We reached the location and set up the first base camp a kilometer away from the site. Our second base camp was located 50 mts away from the site.

The next Monday, the blazing sun made us very lethargic but however the excitement of this being my very first dig didn't wear off. 

"Hi, I am Skyler Adams. I am your expedition facilitator. Mr. McHill is our expedition guide, I am such a big fan Mr. McHill." The same guy from the video introduced himself to us. He looked even cuter in person. 

Later that day,

"Hey, I never got hold of your name." It was Skyler.

"Oh hey, I am Alix." We shook hands.

"Cute name, Alix" he smiled, "If I knew someone this pretty and cute was joining us, I would have dolled up a little." He joked.

"Ohh" I laughed, "Dr. Aisha already thinks you're a doll."

He smiled, "Maybe her, maybe someone else. You never know I am pretty charming."

I laughed again. He was pretty charming.

"I will see you around, Alix!" He waved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mr. McHill, I had the SAA put in all the lights, proximity alerts and everything in place." Skyler said. Dad nodded. Dr. Aisha operated the Infrared machine to drive out bats and snakes.

A sudden faint beep caught my ear.

"You hear that?" Aisha asked. Everyone nodded and took a few steps back. We were at the northern entrance of the pyramid when the proximity alert beeped louder and faster.

"Stay back everyone" Dad signalled.

"We don't know what's coming." Aisha said and braced herself.

"Aggrhh" Aisha's faint scream startled us. she fell on the ground and dad helped her up.

"The infrared worked" She said dusting herself, "Bats and snakes."

"Are you hurt, Dr. Sharma?" SKyler asked, pointing at her knee which was bruised a little.

"I will get some ointment" Skyler opened his backpack and ruffled through the contents.

"Is it just me or do you guys find him incredibly attractive too?" She laughed whispering to me and Emma.

I smiled, looking at Skyler, even with his back turned onto us, one can definitely say that he's downright handsome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days were warm and nights were cold. After being done with our site exploration for the day we went to base camp one. Evenings usually went by examining scans and x-rays. And more studies. 

"Hey" It was Skyler, "You want a drink?"

I nodded. He sat beside me and gave me a bottle of Breezer. I took one sip and it was horrible.

"What is this stuff? It tastes horrendous." I said keeping the bottle aside.

"It's  Breezer, figured you're working so no alcohol." He said.

"Fair enough" I put my computer away and faced him. I didn't talk much, only listened. Skyler on the other hand had a lot to say. He was born in Virginia but he spent most of his childhood with his grandparents at Miami, did high school from Pennsylvania and graduated at Berkley. He never knew his mom, and his dad was a drunkard. He had two step sibling, but they don't talk to him anymore. 

"You know what's the best part of all this?" he looked at me, his eyes weren't exactly blue. It was a deeper hue of a mix of green-blue and his eyes had a depth that you could get lost into. That night onwards Skyler Adams became a little more than just a colleague-, he became a friend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later,

"The pictures are ready"' Skyler said to us. We all hurried excited to second base camp. The computer showed pictures that could bring a revolution in archeology.

Looking carefully at the screen, Sam said, "Bembridge was right after all." The denser muon rays indicated the presence of a structure. All we needed was a better analysis  and more pictures. That night the team had a video conference with the SAA, ASI, Archeolog and some other arch centers.

We all briefed what we found till now and presented the muon cosmic pictures. They seemed awed, I wouldn't blame them. I was pretty stoked too.

"Team this is one of the benefactors that made this possible, Hamaed Raaed." Mr. Pierson introduced us to this man.

We all exchanged pleasantries and resumed back on our discussion. It was finally decided that tomorrow we will go into the subterranean chamber for better muon visuals. Very few people have gone inside the subterranean chamber, it was dark and damp as I heard. The subterranean chamber is the largest and most unusual room of the great pyramid. This odd looking room is located 100' below the base of the Great Pyramid and carved from the solid limestone bedrock of the plateau. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later during dinner,

"Sort of a big break for me!" Skyler told us at the dinner table.

"Mine too!" I said and he immediately smiled.

"Well in that case" Dad got up and took his glass to raise a toast, "Here's to these youngsters on their on their success journey and glory days ahead."

Everyone clinked their glasses together. It became a celebration.

"Cheers for you, Alix!" Skyler said to me.

"And for you, Skyler Adams!" We clinked glasses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------