The Day Of Hearts Dance

Varian pranced through the gates of Corona. Quirin watched him with a smirk on his face.

"You seem happy."

"I am it's my first dance."

It was the day of Hearts and the youth dance was due to begin, every year the fourteen to eighteen year olds were invited to join in. Including Varian. It was the one day of the year that propriety allowed the teens to get close to each other, and tradition over wrote usual rules to allow the boys to kiss the girls they like the most- just on the cheek of course. Varian had overheard a group of teenagers talking about it the week before and decided that he was going to go. He was wearing a brand new shirt and had been practicing dancing down in his lab, though he had to wait for a girl to ask him as the rules of the dance dictated that the boys had to be asked by the girls.

Quirin laughed.

"I never had anything like this where I grew up. Though I was the same at your age, any chance to get the near the girls I took."

"I wonder if Cassandra is going to be there, if she is I'm going to ask her to dance.

"Varian it's a youth dance, Cassandra is a young woman, she's a few years past attending." Quirin frowned and looked at his son. "Cassandra isn't who you've got your eye on is she?" He asked not wanting the boy to be disappointed by the woman's rejection.

"Noo... she's just a friend. I haven't really got my eye on anybody, but they're all going to be impressed by my moves." He threw his arms in the air and wiggled his hips. "I call it the glow-worm." 

  Quirin smiled though inside he was nervous that the boy's dancing was a little bit too 'unique' for Corona, but maybe he just didn't understand the young people's styles these days it had been years since he'd danced

When they reached the town square Quirin headed to the castle to discuss some business with the king and Varian ran to join the wide circle of boys who had gathered there. They were all smiling nervously at the girls who were standing in the centre giggling behind their hands to each other.

It wasn't long before the music started. Varian folded his arms behind his back and stuck his chest out. He hoped that a straight back would make him look taller as he was the shortest boy there. For a long minute nobody moved, until one girl picked up the courage and went over to a tall blonde boy opposite Varian and asked him to dance. The boy smiled in return and took her hand. Encouraged other girls started to go and pick their partners, slowly at first but then with more confidence. Soon every girl had picked a boy, and Varian was left standing on the outskirts with a few others as those in the circle danced a fast-paced jig.

It was okay with Varian that nobody had asked him, after all, he didn't know many people and he assumed that a lot of the girls had simply picked family friends and people they knew well to start the dance with. Plus, there were more boys and girls, so it really didn't matter that he hadn't been picked first, there was still plenty of time. He smiled and tapped his foot as he listened to the jig.