Chapter 8

Addie felt herself growing weaker each day.

She got enough prey, but that wasn't what her muscles were longing for. What she really needed was a run, where she could stretch her muscles and escape her problems. Addie got up and stretched, searching for any lion that would like to come with her. She spotted Makenna a couple lengths away, speaking in a low voice to Eshe, adjacent to her. Through the corner of her eye, a small shape darted past her with a squeal.

Addie spun around, only to see wide-eyed Kefira staring at her, a small chunk of meat dangling from her jaws. "A-Addie, p-please don't tell them..." The cub whispered. Noticing her questioning look, she continued her explanation frantically. "I-It's for Z-Zarina, she's not allowed t-to have f-food-" The space between Addie's two eyes folded in a crease. Why? Why wouldn't Zarina be able to eat?

"-and s-she's getting weaker, I told her in one day she'd be allowed to eat again, but she was so hungry, I just had to help her! Please don't tell mom or Azazel! Please, I-I'll put the meat back-" Addie shook her head, bewildered. "No," she said shakily. "No, I won't tell them. But first, why wouldn't Zarina be able to eat?" She queried.

Kefira's eyes almost doubled in size. "Ares was mad at mom for not liking him back, so he hasn't been giving Zarina food for a while now, and mom's finally going to like him." the cub's face twisted in momentary confusion. "Though it's not liking him if he has to threaten the cub she loves to make her," she observed through a mouthful of meat.

Alarm sparked in Addie's stomach, but she washed it away with a flood of anger. "Give Zarina the prey, I have to go." She growled firmly with a whip of her tail. Kefira raced away, ducking into the shade of tall grass and approaching a small furry shape.

Addie, anger still pricking her pads and spine, planted her paws in front of the king of her pride.

I am SO sorry for the short chapter, loves, but it seemed like the appropriate spot to end it at!
I hope you guys liked this chapter, please don't forget to comment and vote, it makes my day!

Give me feedback, please, grammatical errors, parts you did and didn't like, the rate of plot progression: is it to fast or too slow for you all?
Anyways, thank you for reading!

- Sorrel