Chapter 1 - Rivalry Runs Deep

As the castle lurked on the horizon, the mood of the troop shifted into a darker state that mimicked what hung in the air. The stark, cold stones and blocks were dimly lit by just enough light of the moon to see the groves of the worn castle in front of them. It peered at the soldiers from behind the black charcoaled tree trunks and limbs that seemed to reach to a threatening height. The icy wind whipped against their cheeks making them turn a bright shade of crimson.

       The horses moved slowly. They minded their footwork carefully over the rocky terrain, slipping every few steps over the jagged rocks and giving the riders a spook. This made some young riders more scared than they already were, though they would never show it.

     The troop moved over the draw bridge and approached the entrance. One could feel the heavy anxiousness of what was to come from these men dressed in robed white garments with golden armor plated across their chests and thighs. The men looked around to one another, not sure of the scene they were witnessing. The empty, abandoned quad looked back at them as the white from their clothes was the only illuminating light they had around them. The mossy floor filled their senses adding to the overwhelming aroma. The scene was as terrifying as the exterior of Arctos Castle, the home of Donovan, Prince of Darkness.

     The first golden knight, Diggory, dismounted from his Camargue and stepped proudly forward as he cleared his throat and spoke the decree of what he and his other comrades were sent there to proclaim. 

He began, "Prince Donovan. I am Diggory of Lucere, head of the Golden Knights of the queen command. We come here today not of want, but out of necessity. Queen Theia has received urgent news about the Runes. She requests an audience with you," he stress the next word  "peacefully." 

    Diggory waited in the mud below. He looked around, his eyes trying to fixate on something... anything in the darkness.

      Behind the shadows where these white knights could not see past the darkness, lurked men dressed in gray with black armor looking towards their own leader, Prince Donovan. All eyes were on him waiting for his command. With the clench of his fist and the tightening of his jaw the soldiers knew what he ordered of them. The thunderous steps spooked the men in white. They armed their weapons anxiously awaiting the mass of soldiers and their inevitable fate.

     The clashing of swords echoed through every crevice of Peace Castle. The sound of death echoed far and wide as Diggory spotted the infamous prince as he emerged from the shadows. Donovan surveyed the scene below him noticing the tough fight and the immense pride the Golden knights. They were so willing to fight and spill their blood for their queen, it was a quality he could appreciate. The prince locked his gray eyes with Diggory and spoke an echoing boom to all who fought below. 

     "Leave that one enough life to return home, I have a few words I want him to give to his Queen of 'Light'", he emphasized in disgust.

     The solider who was about to drive his sword through Diggory's heart nodded in response to his command, and shoved the silver staff into his side instead. Diggory let out a cry of frustration and pain as he fell to the ground staring at the only source of his precious light he could find from the moon, wishing it felt like the golden light from home as the darkness of his surroundings washed over him.

     The worn cobblestone clicked to a melodic beat under Diggory's Camargue. He could feel the hot blood oozing from his side. With the little life he had left he petted his trusted comrade and weeped. The proud beast bobbed its head as it was welcomed to the court yard and stood there until the morning light rose.