Chapter 2 - Lines Drawn

Theia sat in the ornate, gold chair at the head of the room. Its where all the leaders of light sat before she was allowed to take the throne. She sat and watched all of the council members take their spots in their respective places. The long, bright hall was filled with giant marbled tables used for meetings, eating, or parties. Her favorite was the latter, but with her calling herself Queen she could never let the other men in the room know that. Surveying the room as she was about to begin, one spot sat open waiting for a certain council member. 

     She leaned over to Alaric who sat to her left and asked "Where is Tomas?"

     Alaric hesitated "Well your majesty, the servants could not find him in time to give him the news. We have no way of know he if he is coming." Theia straightened herself a little in the chair that was far too big for her.

     "I should have excepted nothing less of my brother. His Constance selfishness has caused this country many problems and I wont allow this to be another one, when the time comes to prepare for battle he shall be left behind," stated Theia in a confident manner, withing the walls of her own mind. 

     Theia's internal montage quickly fluttered to scenes of all the damage Tomas had done to the kingdom. As much as it hurt her heart to say it, she was glad. By Tomas acting like a fool for their entire childhood, it made it very clear and evident that she would rule. Lucere was not like the country it shared a border with. I did not matter if you were a man or woman, if you were fit to rule and had "the kiss of the light" you could run the kingdom. The kiss of the light was an old prophecy told of the runes many eons ago. Different families in Lucere would receive a sun birthmark on their chest. If the symbol stayed until their eleventh birthday that family would take over the ruling of the kingdom until the next kissing of the light happened to someone else in the kingdom. Theia's family had been ruling for 150 years since her great grandfathers brother had the birthmark on his chest.  Her family was the third family in existence to be chosen. So if her math was correct Theia's lineage would have about 200 or so years left to rule.

    As her mind wandered back to reality, she rose gathering her golden embroidered skirt to stand and address her peers,

     "Hello to you all. I have gathered a council meeting to further discuss the letter we decided to send to Arctos for Prince Donovan. Upon receiving our word of the Runes, he took it upon himself to murder a troop of our Golden Knights," she heard some chatter but continued. "It looks as we will have to take the Runes upon our resources and hope for the best that we can complete the task ourselves-,"

     " You know that is impossible. I despise them with my whole being but, we stand no chance against him without the help from Arctos!" yelled a councilmen from the back. Alraric sprung to his feet ,

     " How dare you not only address our Queen with her title but also interrupt her, if her brother was standing here as King you would show him nowhere near this amount of disrespect," He spitted out to the man. Theia patted Alaric to sit down as she spoke.

     "Hector, your rudeness does not go unnoticed and neither does your logic. Yes it is going to be near impossible to complete this task without their help. However, if we refuse to attempt we all are dead anyways, so please tell me of a miraculous plan to help us from our fated doom," her eye scanned the room to all the men staring back at her. She walked forward with haste unsure of how to speak next to the men. Their eyes roamed over Theia's small physique, taking in her natural beauty. Just as she was about to address them, a servant came rushing into he hall.

"What is this about?" she asked as the boy approached her. He did a quick bow before addressing her.

" Majesty, It is a letter of Prince Donovan of Arctos," he extended the black piece of paper to her. The thanked him ad she began to read the letter silently as all her councilmen waited watching her take in the words.