6.

The first week seemed to move rather quickly. Amara intentionally avoided Severus. She spent a lot of time in her bedchambers to avoid running into him, turned if she saw him in the corridors, sat on the opposite side of the table in the Great Hall. It was becoming exhausting, and she knew she would have to face him soon, but she was still, justifiably, angry.

Amara had just finished grading the essays she had assigned to her classes. She really was interested in getting to know her students, so she read each of them carefully. She didn't fail any of them, how could she? It was an essay based on their personal experiences and beliefs, however she did put comments on each student's paper. The moment her Gryffindor and Slytherin 2nd years turned in their assignments, she shuffled through to find Harry's. Her heart tore when she read the recounting of his parent's death and his affinity to make them proud, then her face boiled as she read about the Dursley's and how they treated him, how he never wanted to turn out like them. She wished she could take him out of that house, but regretfully remembered Dumbledore telling her that he was ultimately safer at his Aunt's house.

"Hermione, I know I said there was no limit on how much you could write, but 24 inches of parchment?" Amara said with a soft smile, "Cut it down next time, or else I'll be spending half the night reading yours alone," The girl looked down embarrassed, as the 2 boys, Harry and Ron, chuckled next to her. Amara walked around handing out the essays to their respective students as she moved.

Since it was the end of the week, today would be their first debate. She had separated the desks on either side of the room and explained the rules. The first topic of the class was the International Statute of Secrecy, should magic be kept secret from Muggles? She didn't expect too much out of the first debate, rightfully so. At first none of the students spoke up, but eventually, with the help of Amara, the students were able to have a productive discussion on the necessity or unnecessity of the law.

When the bell rang, signalling the end of the debate, she walked up to Neville, "Hey, stay for a minute." His essay was one that had caught her attention, he had written about his parents, Frank and Alice Longbottom. Amara knew them from her days in the Order, and was devastated to hear the news of what had happened to them. Now, their son stood in front of her afraid that he wouldn't live up to their expectations. She waited until the students were walking out and turned to look at him, "Your parents were really brave people," She said regretfully.

"You knew them?" he asked, his eyes now moving to look at her

"Yeah, they saved my life more than once," She gave him a sad smile, "I just wish I could have been there for them too."

"I wish I was more like them, but I can't even fly a broomstick properly," He said, looking away

Amara watched him dolefully, "You are like them, Neville, more than you know," She said, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, Professor," He looked back up, smiling softly, thankful of her reassurance.

It was October now and eventually, Amara was able to help her classes become more proficient in their debates. After 2 months of washy discussions, they were now arguing with more passion and vigour. Neville was coming around her classroom more often to ask her questions about ethics, but she assumed he just felt better having a professor with some familiarity with his situation, she thought it was sweet. She was also getting to know Harry better, he definitely had James' temper, but Lily's kindness. It was weird to see a mix of two people she knew so well become one, and she felt proud. Not because of anything special he did, rather it was what he didn't do. He never flaunted his 'fame' or acted like a victim. He held his head high and Amara couldn't help but admire him for it. She was still avoiding Severus at all costs, and now Lockhart as well. He had cornered her again on her way to class one morning, and it was evident she did not want to get stuck in another conversation with the boastful man.