8.

A loud knock at her bedroom door pulled Amara out of the first peaceful sleep she felt since arriving at Hogwarts. She disorientedly got out from under her covers and stumbled toward the source of the loud banging. When she opened the door, the sight in front of her put her on alert. Professor Mcgonagall stood over her with the sternest look she had ever seen from the professor, and that was saying something, "the Headmaster has asked me to gather all the teachers for a meeting in his office." When Amara stood there, awaiting further explanation, she pushed, "quickly now, Amara, it's urgent."

The scene in Dumbledore's office was reminiscent of the first teacher's meeting she had been to upon her arrival to Hogwarts earlier in the year, but now, there was a solemn aura surrounding them. Some of the professors seemed confused and others looked around worriedly. Amara sat next to a stone-faced Severus. Even when she had asked him what the meeting was about or if something had happened, he stayed silent and shook his head, signaling for her to wait for Dumbledore's announcement.

The scattered whispering immediately quieted when the Headmaster entered the office, the familiar twinkle gone, replaced with a grim look, "Last night, a boy was attacked. Petrified, I suspect," he said regretfully. "Because of these recent events, I think I should inform you that the Chamber of Secrets is in fact real. How it has been opened or by whom remains to be seen," If the professors looked worried before, they were terrified now, yet no one dared speak. Dumbledore took a second for everyone to process the new set of information and continued with further instruction, "I think it best to keep a close eye on the students, help them understand the gravity of the situation, but please let us not insight further terror."

"Headmaster, if I may?" Lockhart stood up, his bright robes drawing attention and the smirk on his face indicative of what he was about to say. Without giving Dumbledore a chance to respond, he continued, "You are all so lucky to have me as a professor this year, if anyone can teach these students how to defend themselves against the dark arts it is I, Gilderoy Lockhart."

"Ah yes, Gilderoy, you are correct," Dumbledore began, the twinkle in his eyes appearing now for a brief moment. "The students should be trained extensively in defense, especially now. I believe it wise to form a group where any student that wants to study the art of defense further can do so safely, I shall put you in charge then," Lockhart's smirk dropped at the mention of further work, to everyone's delight.

After each professor was designated a time and place in the castle to patrol throughout the next weeks, they dispersed. Amara sat on top of her desk in her classroom, Severus right below her in one of the student desks. She had so many thoughts crowding her mind, the list of worries growing longer the more she thought about the situation. She had to make sure that the students were safe, that they weren't exacerbating the problem. She was now a professor and had to lead by example, but how could she do that when she was just as worried and terrified, "Are you alright?" Severus asked, suddenly realizing her inner turmoil.

"No... I'm worried. How are we supposed to keep the students safe when no one has even found the Chamber. I mean, we don't know what's attacking these students," She expressed

He nodded and thought about her question, it was one he had been trying to answer himself, "I think we follow Albus' instructions and-" he began, but was quickly cut off when the door to the classroom flung open loudly.

Lockhart strode in, a set of annoyingly bright robes flowing behind him, a bright smile on his face, and the all too familiar curl on top of his head bobbing about. He appeared as if the earth shattering news from Dumbledore had no effect on his mood whatsoever, "Amara Raywood - oh hello, Severus, didn't think I'd see you in here," he began, his smile never faltering, but the amusement in his eyes now gone upon finding the man sitting in the room. He turned back to Amara, putting his hands on his hips, "I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to help me with this task Dumbledore has given me? I'm in need of an assistant and I think you'd be just perfect!"