8: Peril on The Front Lines

The Battle of the Bards, to the casual, ticketed observer, was a never-ending stream of impeccable performing. To the competitors, it was pure carnage all the way to the top.

The way the Battle worked was deceptively simple. Various groups would "skirmish" the others on their level, the losers forced to remain at that level, the winners advancing a level. It was only a matter of time before a group would advance so far that their only adversary would be the reigning champions: Las Poetas Piratas.

By the time Matt arrived, Hayden was just coaching the lagging Bergeriacs in better technique and material. The group, though they had "leveled up" past quite a few others, were feeling now more than ever that, though they were prestigious enough for Ballard, they were no match for real competition, much less the cut-throat ruthlessness of the Poetas Piratas.

Hayden noticed Matt, and knew something was very wrong, for there was no other reason for the arrogant young dramatist to be there. He took the initiative to approach Matt. Chris followed them.

"What brings you here, Matt?" Hayden inquired amiably.

Matt frowned, "You know," he said significantly.

Hayden shook his head, "I cannot imagine what you would find here that would interest you enough to leave Carnegie."

"Hayden, you know exactly my reasons!" Matt snapped, "I know what you did!"

Hayden chuckled, "You are referring to last night?"

"No, this morning. Look, let's skip all this talking in circles, and just tell me where she is!"

Hayden had no idea what Matt was talking about, "Who?"

"Madi!"

Chris spoke up, "I thought she was with you."

Matt rolled his eyes at what he assumed was feigned ignorance. "Look, lover-boy, I'm not stupid! I know you two would rather be together than anywhere else in the world, and you," he jabbed a finger at Hayden, "have no qualms about facilitating it! I thought once I got you all out of the way, she'd be safe, but you stole her from me!"

If there was one thing Hayden hated worse than terrible performing, it was false, hot-headed accusations. He stepped nose-to-nose with Matt, eyes flaming. "I swear, Pucker, there was no other person in the car besides us. We would never steal anyone or anything. We could never steal Madi, for she never belonged to you in the first place! Now, I give you five minutes to leave this place, or I promise you'll regret it!"

Hayden stormed out of the auditorium; Matt's information troubled him. What did he mean, "got you all out of the way"? Was he referring to the Bergeriacs? Had Matt planned their entrance into the Battle? and where was Madi?

"I don't have a ticket, but I just want to see—"

"I'm sorry ma'am, but no admittance without a ticket."

"Please? I won't stay very long!"

Hayden rounded the corner into the foyer. There at the front table, negotiating with an adamant staff member, was Madison Robbins!

"Madi!" Hayden cried.

The staff member turned to look at him, "You know her?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am; I was waiting for her."

Both women stared at him, Madi gratefully and the staff lady skeptically. At last, the latter shrugged. "All right, you can go this once, but next time," she wagged a finger at Hayden, "get your girlfriend a ticket!"

"I will, ma'am!" Hayden called over his shoulder.

They started back down the long hall to the main auditorium, where the Battles were staged.