Chapter 3

Stardust opened his eyes quickly. He gazed around. He jerked up from his sleep and shook his sleep from his head. More yelping from outside caught his attention. Mindful not to wake his littermates, Stardust slipped behind that same rock and listened to the racket.

Stardust could see his mother's distinct gray fur in an opening to the den they had the fox in. His father's black fur blended into the dimly lighted morning, "For the last time! Why were you near our grounds?" Mother's bark rang through the clearing. Stardust noticed the little fox. She's still alive! Relief overwhelmed him as he watched her whine. She had scratches lining her back and sides. Somewhere still dripping with violet blood. Her eyes were small in fear, her breath short and quick. She opened her mouth to speak

"I was getting food! I'm vegan, I hate meat!" She stammered looking up achingly. She slicked back against the wall of the den. His father raised his large paw above her head and looked at her with pity, then hit another blow to her making her whimper.

"She won't crack, come on let's go get some food before the pups are up," Mother growled as she prowled behind Father. Sighing, Stardust observed the fox. Maybe she is nice, but I could be wrong. With a sigh, he removed himself from the rock and walked towards the vixen. The vixen's eyes locked with his trembling.

"It's okay, I don't want to hurt you. What's your name? Mine's Stardust," Stardust soothed her. She looked around quickly, then back at him.

"Peace, my mother calls me Peace," Peace whined. Stardust looked at her. She seemed a little calmer now. She trembled as she sat up, coiling her tail around her black paws. He examined her light gray fur. She was covered in a sleek gray coat. His eyes followed her body up to her face where he saw the blue eyes his father spoke of. Her ears twitched in the slight draft, "Are you one of the pups?" She asked.

"Yes, I am. By the way are you an adult?" He asked referring back to his conversation with his siblings. Peace shook her head.

"So you've never seen a fox before? Hm, yeah I'm what foxes call 'kits' a kit is what you are but you're called a pup," Peace explained.

"That makes more sense!" Stardust yapped. Peace smiled but it soon faded after there was a stir in the brambles. His parents' scent grew stronger.

"I have to go!" Stardust yelped. Stardust silently raced back to the den. Trying not to pant he laid down and pretended to sleep among his littermates. Mother stepped into the den.

"Good morning puppies! I invite everyone to breakfast where we can chat!" Mother called using a sweet motherly voice for once. All his brothers stirred and ambled out of the den. Stardust followed after them, taking the rear and sitting distant from them. He peeped over at Peace who was curled up in a gray ball. Her tail flicked in a wave motion. Stardust suspected she was a little irritated that she had to watch them eat meat. Stardust grabbed a small rabbit his dad had caught and started to chew into it. He looked at Mother as she stood alongside Father.

"So, today your father and I have decided to take you to the Aspens right outside the densite! Oh and let me make one thing clear, there is to be no play fighting until we've cleared things up with the guest..." Mother glanced at Peace with a sickening glare. The others looked at each other eagerly. Stardust sighed, he wasn't ready to see the world. Why can't the world just be the densite? He thought as he followed his Mother through the brambles.

He looked back at Father who carried Peace in his mouth. Probably just to be safe... Stardust thought. Halo gasped as they slid into the open clearing. The grass here felt softer, the dirt hidden beneath the tall delicate grass. Roots from the aspen trees were spurring throughout the ground.