Chapter 1

"KATNISS! Katniss...go. Just go. RUN!"

                As he pushed me, that was the final sentence I heard from Peeta, I was running.  I soon pelted into a thick, slightly softer wall which caused me to bounce back and land straight on my back. I heard a scream in the distance. Peeta. The grand and muscular body threw me over his shoulder and ran. Who was he? My vision was blurred and soon all I could hear was a buzzing noise in my ears, this saviour's voice became muffled. The next time I wake up, i'm no longer in the arena. I survived.

                My eyes open in a sudden, my vision shooting towards the blinding light facing down on me. My vision adjusts and I slowly sit up, my arms aching and sore, my feet bruised and purple. I look around me and find no one around. Not even Peeta to put his arms around me and assure me that everythng will be okay. I won? How? I soon hear the door creak open, praying for it to be Peeta. No.

The anger and adrenaline soon builds up in me and my eyes dart to the great anvil standing in the corner of the room. My mind buzzes, my palms become drenched in sweat and my legs tense. The last time I saw him, he was drenched in blood, I shot the arrow a his hand and that's when Peeta told me to run. So I did. Then I remembered the scream. It was Peeta's, and I didn't been think about going back  and saving him.

The towering  figure looked me dead in the eyes and slowly advanced forward, my eyes sharply scanning his body. Deep cuts and bruises filled his muscular body. How could he even look at me? He was designed to kill me, like he did with most of the innocent children in the arena. He wasn't the one who saved me.

He was Cato.

A ruthless, mindless and living destroyer, put in the games to kill and win, that was his only objective and he could surely still achieve it now, I could barely move. One grab and twist of my neck and I would be no more. Instead of ending my life there and then, he reaches the end of my bed and collapses on his knees. A tear forming in his mesmerising blue eyes, yet it does not fall. He clenches his fists and punches the end of my bed. I flinch and stare at him in shock. His jaw is clenched and he manages to produce two words I never thought he ever learned how to use or did use.

"I-I'm sorry....", he said painfully, his eyes slowly looking up and staring at me.

"Where is Peeta?", I ask. "What did you do to him?".

Cato breathed in heavily, then looked down at the crisp white and silk sheets.

"ANSWER ME, Cato..", I scream giving him a fierce look.

He swallowed deeply, rubbing his chin,"I-when you ran, I decided to run after you. I wanted to kill you, so badly, my blood boiled when I saw I had the chance. You were the one I knew I would enjoy killing, I was going to stab my sword in your heart and rip it out...." He chuckled momentarily and then cleared his throat.

" I knew I was going to win, I had to. I soon caught up to you. You looked so weak and vulnerable. You were stumbling all over the place and that's when I stopped in front of you. I then saw Peeta jump into the pack of mutants, the hungry beasts that were meant to take me. He did it for you. He loved you.  I had my sword up, ready to finish you and crown myself as a victor. But then you looked at me, the way no one has ever looked at me before. You felt sorry for me. I could see the pack of Mutants running for us, so I threw you over my shoulder and ran. I kept running, but then I felt something blast us up into the air. An explosive. We landed and I cradled you in my arms because I didn't want to let you go...I don't know why. Then the mics boomed and Seneca Crane announced that we were the two victors. He stopped everything and that's when we were carried out. That's all I remember, I just recall that you were still in my arms. A part of me hoped you were dead, I could've easily squeezed that soft neck of yours and snap it in two. But the other stopped me, people loved you and I would get the blame. So I let you live. And here you are. We're the victors, champions."