Chapter 2: Aftermath of the Demon Encounter

Delia's POV

How can he act so dumb?! He was the one who sold his soul to that monstrosity! Anyway, it didn't matter. I'm going to end all of this! I take the sword and slash at him. He dodges like a coward. "Hold on! Why are you attacking me?!" He asks another stupid question. "Did having your soul extracted give you amnesia? It doesn't matter. You killed my father! You will pay for your sins!" I yell as I make another slash, cutting his cheek. He falls to the ground cupping it. This is my chance! "Delia! Stop!" A familiar voice stops me in my tracks. It couldn't be.

I turn around and my father is staring at me, holding his chest wound. "But... Tharen killed you..." The king nodded. "Yes, but this isn't my first run in with death." He took out a pendant. My eyes widen with realization. That's a holy relic! I'm shocked he even has one. They are extremely rare. Even with the riches of a king, they're difficult to acquire. "If I wasn't wearing this, I would have died. Just as Tharen had." What?

"Father. Tharen isn't there. The traitor, unfortunately, still breathes life." I explain. Is father delusional due to his experience of almost dying. He shook his head. "No. That may be Tharen's body, but it isn't Tharen's soul. Once a soul has been taken by a demon, there is no returning it. But souls wander the earth. Looking for a body to call their own. Usually, it is a fetus, hence where our souls originate. Reincarnation. However, Tharen's body was much like a fetus. A soulless body ready for the taking." Now that I think about it, Tharen is acting differently.

(Y/n)'s POV

Demons? Souls? What is going on? "I don't understand. Reincarnation? Just a moment ago I was walking on the street with my friend when I was ran over. Now suddenly demons?" I pleaded with answers. The old man gave me a sympathetic look. "I see. You still retain your past life's memories. Guessing about your reaction to the demon, you must not be from this world. It's quite rare for a soul to cross worlds." I only nod. I really don't get what is going on. The old man spoke again. "Can I have your name? While you may have Tharen's body, you are not him. Tell me, what was the name of your past life?" I didn't hesitate to answer. "(Y/n)."

The old man nodded. "I'm King Aldar, king of Astolia. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance (Y/n). I welcome you to my kingdom. This here is my daughter, Delia. I apologize for her actions. She thought your new body still belonged to the old owner." A king? And he keeps mentioning a new body. I see a mirror on the wall and to my shock, I'm a completely different person. I back away. "As I said, you have reincarnated into Tharen's body. This must be a lot to take in." Aldar put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "You can say that again."

At that moment, we heard the sound of rushing feet. In through the door came a woman and a group of knights. "Beloved! You're injured! Get the doctor immediately!" The knights obeyed her order. A couple later, the knights returned with the doctor and began to treat the king's wounds.

Delia's POV

Was I to really believe that this guy isn't Tharen? My father was quite knowledgeable, so I didn't want to question him, but I still can't trust this guy. Even if he isn't Tharen, how can I trust a spirit that decided to possess someone else's body? "Father, how can you be sure we can trust him?" I asked. He sighed in response. "These things don't happen by coincidence. For a soul to travel across worlds, the spirits must have their reasons. Maybe this is what we were needing." What we need? "Young man, our world is under threat from the demon king. He wishes to destroy our people. He almost succeeded before, by killing off our women, but we were able to recover by creating a new sex to replace them."

The spirit inhabiting Thorin's body had a confused expression. "But aren't your daughter and wife women?" Father chuckled. "They do look it, don't they? But they are actually what we call maidens. Biologically, they are the same as you and me. They just have more feminine features." I don't what, but the spirit had the oddest expression. I didn't know how to describe it.

(Y/n)'s POV

They're traps! Is this for real! I'm not complaining, though. Does this mean all the girls in this world are traps, too? I try to suppress all the perverted thoughts in my head. "What's with that weird expression?" The princess, Delia was it, gave me a glare. I instantly put all those thoughts aside. The king continued. "As I was saying, our kingdom is once again in danger. The demon king has awakened. Tell me, did you die as a warrior?" Warrior? Definitely not. "No, I died by saving my friend from a van." The king smiled. "You're not a warrior, but you have a warrior's honor. I see why the spirits chose you for this quest."

Quest? What quest? "What do you mean?" The king answered. "Why else would the spirits bring you here? Why else would they give you Thorin's body? You have been chosen to save our world and defeat the demon king." Is he insane?! I haven't fought a day in my life. Delia is just as shocked. "Father, you can't be serious?! He said it himself that he's not a warrior!" The king nodded. "Yes, before he wasn't, but now he is. Thorin's souls may be gone, but his memories remain. It may be difficult for him to recover, but if he does, he'll have Thorin's skills. Besides, he'll won't go alone. No one faces the demon king by himself. He'll need a party of warriors to go with him. I suggest you go with him, Delia."

Delia's POV

Father wants me to go with him?! "Father! This is crazy!" My father nodded. "But at this rate, we may not have a choice. But you must trust in the spirits will. They will guide us to victory. If this is the way to it, then so be it." My father turned to the spirit. "(Y/n), this may be a selfish request, but please help us. I'm asking you to risk your life, the life you just got, to save our country. But if you don't, there'll probably won't be a life to live. This world is now yours as well. So, please save it." Father got on the ground at the spirits feet. The site was blasphemous. The king kneeling to another. I looked toward the spirit and waited for his answer.

To be continued.