TWO

—"My name is Nick Fury, Agent of Shield

—"My name is Nick Fury, Agent of Shield."—

Today was Eleanor's last day. It was definitely a bittersweet moment for Elain. As much as she was happy for her friend to finally take the next step into her future, now she was all alone in the muggle world. She waved goodbye as the girl drove off, leaving Elain with a tug in her chest.

She contemplated quitting as well, but she had to make an income somehow, and she wasn't sure if she was ready to dive into the magical world so quick. She liked to be patient, and dip her toes in to get a feel of the water before doing anything rash.

She stopped by the hospital room where the girl, whose name she found out was Suzy, was staying while her leg finished healing. Everyday she pulled out her wand and filled the vase on her nightstand up with tulips so she would have something nice to wake up to.

No one from the ministry had come knocking on her door, and there had been no mention of it in the papers, so guessed they either didn't know it happened, or didn't know it was her.

She kicked off her boots and hung her jacket up on the coat rack as she stepped through her doorway that afternoon. She had read somewhere that Newt Scamander, the legendary Magizooligist, had kept a briefcase with a charm on it that held all of his animals. With a little bit of research, she recreated his breifcase, in her backpack.

Instead of having a bunch of magical creatures to look after, she used her new found space to create her potions. It had been a while, and she needed a safe space to brew without fear of recking her house.

"Maybe I should just live in my backpack. Bye bye rent." She said to the slug she was about to add to her potion. Her nose scrunched in disgust as it plopped into the cauldron, turning the previously yellow potion, a deep forest green. This particular brew was made to get rid of burn marks, which would have been helpful for the people in the building she saved.

'Saved. I like the sound of that.'  She was super giddy for days after that happened. It had been so long since she had had an adventure, a purpose, a chance to use her skills. Most days, she just sits around her apartment, but now she strolls through the place with a smile on her face.

She poured the concoction into several viles and stacked them on the shelf behind her. This is what she lived for, she just wished she had more people to help. It was a different experience, helping muggles, but was also better! They didn't even know the things she could do were possible, and here she comes with a stick to make it all better. It's too bad wizards weren't allowed to share their magic with the muggle world.

If all wizards fell in love with a muggle, soon enough everyone would have magic, and then no one would have to hide anymore. It sounded like a perfect world to her, but she knew it would never happen. She climbed out of her bag and walked back into her living room. It was nice living with both muggle and wizard technologies. It made lounging around the house more enjoyable as she could kick her feet up and watch t.v.

She used her wand to bring her the popcorn from the kitchen, trying to enjoy the rest of the day before she had to return to work on Monday. She couldn't help but feel antsy, though. Like her body wanted her to get up and run a mile, but she knew what it wanted. She wanted to go out and save more people! It had been such a rush of adrenaline, she hasn't felt that way since she worked as an intern at the hospital. And before that, since the twins had pulled their last prank on Professor Umbridge.

She almost rolled her eyes at the thought of that mean old witch, dressed in pink to try and hide her toads figure. She wanted to barf at the memory. She tried to pace around her living room to get rid of the feeling in stomach, it was like it was screaming at her to go out and do something. Use her magic, save some people, anything that could bring that feeling back.

'Don't be stupid! You got lucky that the Ministry didn't catch you the first time. It's a good thing the trace isn't on you or you'd have been caught for sure.' Her thoughts told her. She had to agree with herself. The only reason the Ministry hadn't come barreling down her door was because she didn't have the trace anymore, and all the muggles had their memory altered so there wasn't any unnecessary attention.

If she had forgotten to obliviate even one person, they would have tried to tell everyone, gaining the Ministry's attention, and getting herself caught. She had to be careful so she wouldn't make a mistake, because that would mean big punishments.

She strolled through her kitchen, trying to make something to eat to stop the jitters in her stomach. It felt so nice to be able to wave her wand and have all the dishes be put away in seconds. She pulled out some noodles, and decided to just make some spaghetti. It got lonely sometimes, not having anyone to talk to around the house, and no friends to call. Well, she did have friends, but they probably hated her now. She ran away from the wizarding world when things got tough, and she knew it was probably the most selfish thing she could have done.

All her friends had lost someone, too, but they didn't run and hide. It was too late to try and apologize now. They would want nothing to do with her. She looked at her reflection in the mirror that set on her wall and saw that her hair was a deep blue. It used to do that when she was younger, before she could control her emotions from effecting her appearance. Since she had gone so long without using her ability, she found herself losing control more and more often.

She put her noodles in a bowl and tried to eat her anxiety away. It wasn't anxiety per se, but that was the only term she could think of for it. Elain had been keeping up with the news more often, so if anything else came up she could be there to help out. Nothing seemed to help, so she pulled her white trench coat back on and took a walk outside.

She loved the cool air hitting her face as she walked down the street. She didn't make a ton of money as a receptionist, so she wasn't in a high-class community by any means. Her hair had long since returned to her natural brown. As much as she liked turning her hair different colours, it drew too much attention, and she didn't like that.

She walked past a bar that had what seemed to be a drunk homeless man passed out in front of it. She just kept walking, not wanting to deal with drunk men at the moment. The air around her was humid, as it had just finished raining. She stepped over a small puddle that had formed in the cracks along the streets.

She couldn't explain the feeling she was having. It was like she wanted to stand on top of the tallest mountain, and fall, knowing she could protect herself. She heard a low car honk in the distance, awaking her from her thoughts. She decided it was time to go back home before the sun set.  As much as she wished she could spend the rest of her day out in the sun, she knew that her plants couldn't go too long without being tended to.

Elain ducked into an alleyway and looked around to make sure no one was watching before she apparated back into her living room. "That kind of defeats the purpose of me waiting for you to get back if you just pop right in." She spun around to come face to face with a man in all black sitting on her couch. 

She quickly snatched her wand out of her pocket and pointed it at the mysterious man. He looked unfazed at her action. "Am I supposed to be intimidated by that thing?"

"Looks can be deceiving. Why are you in my house?" She asked sternly, trying not to convey her nerves. The man pushed himself off of the couch so she could get a better look at his face.

"My name is Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'd like to have a talk with you."

1480 words
not edited