Chapter One

I was immediately flung into the Nowhere, Doomslug trilling loudly under my arm. The way the delvers glared at me was... unsettling. One of them, though - the one I had spoken to no doubt - seemed not to mind us.

I shivered. The other side of the cosmos wasn't really as bad as I thought. I spun around in circles, M-bot slipping from my fingers. I quickly lunged forward to grab the cleaning drone. How long could M-bot last in an 'unsophisticated machine'? (His words, not mine) And if I lost M-bot as well...

I would not be able to stand it. Although he irritated me at times, I... Fine, I'd say it once. I would miss him if something happened to him.

He was my ship.

Doomslug made a choking noise. I glanced at her. Was something wrong? Were her cytonic senses being affected?

The stripes on her back throbbed- the patterns moving, shifting, the normal pale yellow changing to a blinding neon. I blinked.

Her entire body contorted. Just then, I felt something squeezing my ribs. I gasped for breath. My lungs were being crushed together.

M-bot's voice emitted from the drone. "Spensa, is everything alright?"

"No, it is not alright! Can't... You... Feel... It?" I wheezed.

"Feel... what, exactly?"

I was about to snap a retort at the frustrating cleaner drone when a great, hulking shadow appeared in front of me. My stomach hurled. One bright eye glinted from the shadow's upper midsection.

A delver.

Instinctively, I knew that this was the one I had talked to on Starsight. How did it follow me here? I had no idea. But then again, it was a delver, so...

"Spensa Nightshade." A voice boomed out loud. This time, it was not like the previous time. I could hear it, and not just in my head. Doomslug's patterns contorted yet again. Was being in such close proximity to the delver hurting her?

"Yes, that's me," I managed.

"You have shown great courage today. I would like to reward you, although some of my brethren are against it. I have put myself in a perilous position, as of now. I will... show you..."

These last words echoed around the big, endless rift of blackness I was in. It echoed in Nowhere.

Suddenly, I was thrown forward. I reached for the cleaning drone, then realized that it was not there. Doomslug wasn't, either.

Where was I? Heart in my throat, I corrected myself upright and stared forward.

"Brade! You know what to do! Hurry up and prepare the broadcast!" I felt a jolt, recognizing Brade's name, as well as Winzik's high, silvery voice.

What was he doing?

Winzik sat in front of some black thingy, that revolved around him. A... CamRecorder, according to the words printed in black on the thing.

"People of Starsight...." Winzik's voice suddenly became higher pitched, if that was possible. Then it became a series of squeaks and the whole scene spun uncontrollably.

I saw a missile emerging from the base of a Krell ship. It spun, fire revolving around it. As I watched, helpless, the missile slammed into a planet. It exploded, debris flying everywhere. One chunk brushed my cheek. I couldn't help but grin. Such power!

Then I realized- how many people had been on that planet? The number of lives lost?

The scene changed again. I became more aware of my breaths. They were fast and ragged.

There was a large group of people huddled together. More than I had ever seen in my life. They were in a warehouse. Time slowed down, as a bright light flared above.

This was the planet being destroyed. Suddenly, I realized that one of the people was FM. That meant... This was Detritus?

I tried to reach forward. My hand passed through her.

I felt dread settling in my stomach. I knew what was going to happen.

The scene exploded and I was thrown back suddenly.

I was back in the Nowhere. A cleaner drone hovered in front of me. I tried to swat it away. What was it-

Oh. M-bot.

"What—what happened?" I asked groggily. My body felt separated from my spirit. (That sounded like something Quirk would say. I missed everyone back on Detritus. How long had I been away?)

"Spensa, you screamed and then made no move. Then, the delver left and Doomslug stopped glowing. Are you alright?"

I laughed. Was I alright? Of course not! Detritus was destroyed! But maybe that wasn't a vision of what happened now.

"MY GIFT TO YOU IS A GLIMPSE OF THE POSSIBLE FUTURE. NOW, HURRY, SPENSA, DAUGHTER OF ZEEN. SAVE YOUR PLANET." A loud voice boomed in my head. The delver. I silently thanked it as the last bits of its voice faded away in my brain.

"We have to go." I said to M-bot and Doomslug, chewing on the inside of my cheek nervously.