Chapter 16: The Text

That was not how Cami intended for Melissa and the rest of their friends to find out about her and Brett's secret romance.

She woke up to a group message with the screenshot of her Instagram story in it. But what did everyone expect? Brett and Cami were the only two home. Of course they grabbed a coffee together — romantically or not.

But the problem was, Kaleigh already knew the truth of Brett and Cami and took it upon herself to analyze the photo from Cami's story in such detail that she circled the reflection of Brett's hand on Cami's lap in the coffee cup.

"Are you kidding me?" Brett said when he sat up in bed, next to Cami.

"She's probably still pissed that you ghosted her after Disneyland."

"Fuck her."

Cami stood up and tried to call Melissa.

"She isn't answering my calls."

"How do you know she's even seen it?"

Cami shot Brett a look and said, "Everyone's seen it. She's in the group message that I'm in with the picture."

"Let's just stay calm. We can come up with something and —"

"I don't want to lie anymore Brett. Maybe this is a good thing."

"Fuck."

Melissa was calling. Cami's heart dropped.

"That's her, isn't it?"

Cami nodded. It was all a lot easier said than done. She waited a moment. Then another. She answered.

"Hey, how's camping?" Cami spoke into the phone, trying to act casual.

"What the fuck is that text about?" Melissa asked. This was the moment. The moment Cami had been dreading.

Kaleigh is a cunt, Cami thought.

"You mean the picture?"

"No, the other text," Melissa said, sarcastically.

Cami took a deep breath and looked at Brett, who was more nervous than she was. He raised his eyebrows, wondering what was going on, on the other end of the phone. Cami knew it was time to own up to everything.

"Can we talk when you get home?"

"Yeah, I'll be there in an hour."

When they hung up, Cami didn't say anything.

"So?" Brett asked.

"She'll be home soon and we're going  to tell her."

"Fuck. This is bad. That fuckin' Kaleigh. I'm going to ruin her fake ass reputation this year."

"Don't bother. She's not worth your energy."

Brett rolled his eyes and said, "Says the one who told off Lauren in the middle of Mel's."

Normally Cami would've been ready for a fight, but she was too anxious about Melissa.

She was stuck in her head, going over how she was going to break the news. It was all about delivery. Brett and I started seeing each other. No, wait—Brett and I made out while you were out of town, we were both lonely. Oh my gosh, shut up. That's too cliche. Brett and I fucked our brains out while you were out of town all weekend. So there. This is going to be great.

Scott dropped off Melissa. It hadn't been the weekend Melissa fantasized about. Melissa hadn't been made aware before hand that the film crew would be there, so everything was scripted. Fake. No spontaneity or a moment alone with Scott. She loved being on the show, but sometimes it felt overwhelming.