Chapter 3

"What was that?" Hiccup breathed. He watched the ethereal dragon fly away on graceful wings.

  "I don't know, I've never seen that species before," Astrid replied, still shell-shocked at the breathtaking view at the majestic dragon.

  "I'll be." Gobber trudged forward, squinting. "But whatever that beast is, it's dangerous."

  Gothi was already checking on Stoick and a few others were gathering supplies to rebuild the demolished house.

  Fishlegs landed and hurried over, already fingering through his dragon cards. It had been five years since they'd killed the Red Death, and since then, not many dragons had attempted to attack Berk, much less completely destroy the most fortified hut in all of Berk - with one shot!

  "Ooh, Hiccup! I think I've found it! Buuuuut you're not going to like it." Fishlegs took a card and handed it to him.

  "The Triple Stryke. Wait, really? Like Sleuther? But they look so different!"

  "Yeah. Triple Strykes are extremely rare on their own, but this one's colouring is very unique!" Fishlegs was practically fangirling - fanviking? - over the rare dragon.

  Flipping over the card, Hiccup read the contents with growing dread. 

  "Vicious. Aggressive. Belligerent. These are only three of the words that describe the Triple Stryke in battle and the incredible fury it unleashes with its trio of braided tails. 

  Displaying an ornery disposition from the beginning of their lives, Triple Strykes make the ideal champions in underground combat arenas.With their barbed hides that deflect attacks, their intense fire blasts that blind opponents, and their tail triad that braids into a single powerful weapon, a Triple Stryke wins most bouts on intimidation alone."

  "Woah!" Snotlout crowded over, followed by Tuff and Ruff. "Haha, it's like I was made for a dragon like that!"

  "Ah ah ah, that dragon's mine!" Tuffnut complained.

  "Hey, you already have partial ownership of Sleuther along with Dagur. This one's mine!" Ruffnut yelled. 

  "Guys, guys, stop! You already each have you individual dragons. Besides, this Triple Stryke is obviously wild and untamed. It's also incredibly smart to have launched a sneak attack like that," Astrid chided. "And notice its colouring? This Stryke is practically born for stealth. It'll be impossible to sneak on it."

  "Alright, Astrid, but we still need to rangle it somehow. We can't have another dragon attack on Berk." Hiccup instinctively made to grab his charcoal and some paper, but instead, he tripped on a charred piece of metal, denting his already ruined prosthetic leg. "Ah, great. I'm heading back to Dragon's Edge to grab a spare. Dad, you coming? We can stay there until the house is repaired."

  "Aye." Stoick whistled, then hoisted himself onto Skullcrusher, his Rumblehorn.

  "I'm coming with you." Astrid hopped onto Stormfly. 

  "Hey, you can't leave me out of this Hiccup. I'm coming too." Snotlout grinned and gestured to Hookfang, who snorted eagerly.

  "Nobody's leaving this island without us!" The twins cheered.

  "And I'm sure Meatlug and I will be able to help," Fishlegs offered.

  "So the gang's all together now, huh?" Smiling, Hiccup shakily stepped onto Toothless, and they rode off towards Dragon's Edge.

  Nobody noticed a shadow trailing after them, dark grey eyes smoldering.