The Woman in the Attic

Blanche Monnier was found in a tiny room covered in vermin and her own filth. She was locked there for 25 years by her mother.

Her mother didn't like Blanche's choice of husband and decided to punish her.

1901, the attorney general of Paris, received a strange note. It said that Monniers were keeping a person locked in a room against his will. The Monniers were a wealthy family with reputation. Madam Monnier was known for her charitable work and her son, Marcel was a respectable lawyer.But the attorney general decided to investigate the case.

The police made a search in Monniers house but found nothing. Then they noticed a putrid smell coming from upstairs.They discovered a locked door.They smashed the lock and broke in. The room was small and black. The only window was shuttered closed. The smell was so unbearable that a policeman broke the window.

 The smell was so unbearable that a policeman broke the window

The officers saw an emaciated woman chained to the bed. She was surrounded by rotten foods and dirt. Insects were covering her body.She weighed about 22kgs.

It was Blanche Monnier who had been living in that condition for 25 years.

She was immediately taken to the hospital.  Doctors said that she was quite lucid.

25 years earlier,Blanche fell in love with poor lawyer who was much older than her. Her mother was against that and wanted Blanche to wed with a wealthy aristocrat.

When Blanche refused to find another suitor, her mother decided to lock her in the room until she changed her mind.

Years were passing by, but Blanche remained firm in her decision. Even when her beloved lawyer died,she was still locked in her room. Neither her brother, nor the servants tried to help her. It was never revealed who wrote the letter to the attorney general. Some believed it was a servant while others believed it was her brother, Marcel.

Her mother was arrested. But she died in a heart attack, 15 days later. Marcel was sentenced to 15 months in prison, but then released. He proved that he never physically restricted his sister. Blanche lived in a French Sanitarium till her death in 1915.